What's the minimum needed mechanics skill?

I am increasingly frustrated with the game, because of all the doors I can't open without enough mechanics skill. I've gotten it as high as 6 and still can't open any of them. It takes forever to increase these numbers, and I'm wondering how this is supposed to work. I must be doing something wrong. . .

Ok. . . so how do you know which items add to your mechanics skill? Shouldn't I have found some of those by this point in the game? I did try an unlock spell once, and it still told me I wasn't high enough (I forget in what) to use it. I have played all the Avadon and Avernum games and never had this much trouble figuring out what to do. I'm beginning to regret having bought the entire G series.

Ok. . . so how do you know which items add to your mechanics skill? Shouldn't I have found some of those by this point in the game? I did try an unlock spell once, and it still told me I wasn't high enough (I forget in what) to use it. I have played all the Avadon and Avernum games and never had this much trouble figuring out what to do. I'm beginning to regret having bought the entire G series.

Only one item in G1 that adds to mech, tinkers gloves, and those come around midgame ? Mental magic and spellcraft add to the spellpower of your unlock spell. If your spellpower isn't high enough to open a lock with unlock, use living tools first ( you do know how to use these right ? ).

I'm almost certain you can get into Pentil without going through the Hills of Jars by approaching it from the south...I don't think you NEED mechanics ever.
You should never enter Pentil through the Plains, that loses you the quest to break the blockade and the shielding ring. Always approach from the south and leave the spawner alone, losing the reward (2 QA) is nasty.

I have loads of living tools, but no, I guess I don't know how to use them. When I come to a locked door, the text just says I can't open it. Is there a trick to using a tool? Best I can tell, I've lost a couple of rewards through ignorance. I can't tell which way I'm entering any place. When I reach a new location, I just go in and do whatever I can do before moving on. As I said earlier, I don't find this game at all intuitive or even easy to work through. I liked the Avadon and Avernum games SO much more!

I have loads of living tools, but no, I guess I don't know how to use them. When I come to a locked door, the text just says I can't open it. Is there a trick to using a tool? Best I can tell, I've lost a couple of rewards through ignorance. I can't tell which way I'm entering any place. When I reach a new location, I just go in and do whatever I can do before moving on. As I said earlier, I don't find this game at all intuitive or even easy to work through. I liked the Avadon and Avernum games SO much more!

You have to click on the star/usage symbol next to the living tool in your inventory and then on whatever you want to open. And yes, thats 2 clicks for every living tool you want to use. Very annoying system imo, I'm glad it got ditched from G2 onwards.

And considering how much trouble you are having, maybe start with G4 or G5 ?

Ok, thanks, I can now use all those living tools I've been accumulating. That's a nice piece of info that should have been in the instructions, imo. I'm going back to the beginning and see what I've missed behind all those locked doors. Yeah, maybe I should think about jumping to another G, but I'll give it a bit more try. And, btw, I am referring to the walkthrough from time to time, though not all of it meant much at the time. Thanks for trying to help!

Keep in mind that your Mechanics skill and Unlock spell let you open doors of a certain difficulty. It's thus helpful to be stingy with living tools and spend only enough to get to the point where you can open it. For a spell-using character, that's often a few tools and then casting Unlock.

—Alorael, who finds G1 incredibly clunky. It was a first effort with a new engine, and it still has a lot of rough edges. The later Geneforges are much more user-friendly.