Jeff's editors

adc.

He's mentioned that the editors he uses in-house are very bare-bones compared to the Blades games, and it took a significant amount of work to develop BoE and BoA's editors into products that could be released to the public. In particular, he had to write and organise a lot of documentation, which is his least favourite part of game design.

He's mentioned that the editors he uses in-house are very bare-bones

Ha! Then my theory is correct. The editor must be so complicated, that only Overlord Jeff can understand it. Some polishing and developing and we could get a taste of those neat Geneforge editors, ty for the answers.

-----

-Nightwatcher

BoE is actually pretty easy and obvious. SDFs are a weird kludge to replace variables, but you can throw together something basically playable without much training or effort. BoA requires scripting, which raises the bar on would-be designers considerably.

—Alorael, who doesn't think Jeff's in-house editors are complicated. They're just minimal. And because Jeff is an admittedly mediocre programmer, they're probably also just functional enough to use if you know exactly how not to break them. Turning your tools loose on the world requires making sure those tools are robust, which is a lot of work.

Yeah, this is pretty much why I think Jeff is reluctant/unwilling to release another Blades game. These things BREAK. Even after a super-long development time, BoA is still stuffed with bugs. Bugs that aren't ever going to be fixed. Jeff has his editors, sure, but he knows how to use them in order to not end up with a buggy, broken mess. If he were to release his tools, they'd be broken in a matter of hours. :p

this so much

when i program something for myself, it's full of vulnerabilities and bugs. I know not to do certain things because i know how i do and don't sanitize the input. When publishing a program publicly, you have to assume any input will either 1) be dangerous and possibly trying to exploit your vulnerabilities, or 2) be incompetently input and therefore prone to cause errors with the program assumes it's correct.

For example, my stalkers will know that I am working on a CSR parser. I have to write code that can reliably handle when someone rates something that falls out of predetermined values. see link. Unfortunately closing "assumptive" code and fixing vulnerabilities takes a lot of time and effort.