Exile III: Ruined World

Natesci

Exile III was my first RPG for the PC, when I was a kid I spent almost a month doing chores to save up for the game and the guide. I still have the disk and guide in my closet. The game was amazing, I think I put about 2000 hours into it over the course of my Macs 8 year lifespan.

My question is this, is there a remake of Exile III ? if so which one is it? I have such good memories of it that I would love to play it again.

Avernum 3 is a remake of Exile III, but that version is now dated enough that it won't play on some newer operating systems. You can download the demo and try it, though. Some people have found workarounds.

Jeff is in the process of remaking all 3 titles again. Avernum: Escape From the Pit, the remake of Exile/Avernum 1, is already out. Avernum: Crystal souls, the second in the series, will be next. It'll probably be a couple of years before we see the third one, though.

And welcome to the forums!

Jeff is in the process of remaking all 3 titles again. Avernum: Escape From the Pit, the remake of Exile/Avernum 1, is already out. Avernum: Crystal souls, the second in the series, will be next. It'll probably be a couple of years before we see the third one, though.

And welcome to the forums!

*shakes fist* Where's our cursed Geneforge remakes?!?!?!

-----

-Nightwatcher

Exile III was my first RPG for the PC, when I was a kid I spent almost a month doing chores to save up for the game and the guide. I still have the disk and guide in my closet. The game was amazing, I think I put about 2000 hours into it over the course of my Macs 8 year lifespan.

My question is this, is there a remake of Exile III ? if so which one is it? I have such good memories of it that I would love to play it again.

that's one heck of a testimonial right there.

• 1 month later...

Play a lot of old games as well, though I've long since forgotten my first one (remember you specified your gear answering text prompts of "what be the plus" for your sword and there was a 'Seven-League Boots' item if that sparks anyone's memory.) First I haven't forgotten would probably be Wizardry 1 (and have a compilation of the Wizardry series to 8 I still play once in a while, 8 in particular oweing to some awesome mods (Deathstalker's et al.)) Don't remember when I discovered Exile 3 but I I still play it along with Blades. Blades feels smaller world-wise whereas Exile is a more open-ended feeling enviroment.

As I've said elsewhere, in a time when anything we can imagine we can render, it's nice to play games requiring imagination. When everything going on is right there on screen, games loose a lot I think.

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's what I call a necro!!! :lol:

(To whoever is thinking otherwise) You know that the original versions of Avernum, the six of them, run perfectly on newest computers with Windows 7 or 10, do you? They work on my computer; I don't even see why Jeff bothered remaking them, unless he changed the games themselves. Or did he just remake the graphics more to today's gamers liking?

The earliest 3 original Avernums only run on newer Apple Intel computers using Wine versions of the Windows version or an emulator. Avernum 4 came out as Apple was switching to Intel from Power PC chip cpu so there were two versions.

Plus there were so many game engine upgrades like battle disciplines, caches, and junk bag to improve the playing experience.

50 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

The earliest 3 original Avernums only run on newer Apple Intel computers using Wine versions of the Windows version or an emulator. Avernum 4 came out as Apple was switching to Intel from Power PC chip cpu so there were two versions. Plus there were so many game engine upgrades like battle disciplines, caches, and junk bag to improve the playing experience.

So the mac versions work better now I guess. :)

I have no idea what battle disciplines are; as for caches and junk bag, yeah, maybe, but I don't believe they are very useful. ;)

9 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

I don't even see why Jeff bothered remaking them, unless he changed the games themselves.

I think the best answer to your statement here, ladyonthemoon, is to suggest that you play the demo of Avernum: Escape from the Pit! It's free, after all! It should be clear even in the first few minutes of gameplay what many of the changes are, or might be, and that they are far more than simply cosmetic. Spiderweb isn't just making the games look better, they are adapting the whole experience of the game based on the evolving knowledge of the video game industry.

There is much to like about Exile, the original versions of Avernum, and the Avernum remakes. If you're shutting yourself off from the remakes merely on the assumption that you won't like them then, ladyonthemoon, I think that's a real shame. You won't really know if you like the remakes until you've given them an honest try!

6 hours ago, Ess-Eschas said:

I think the best answer to your statement here, ladyonthemoon, is to suggest that you play the demo of Avernum: Escape from the Pit! It's free, after all! It should be clear even in the first few minutes of gameplay what many of the changes are, or might be,

I  own the six games already and I play Avernum, the original version, currently, in alternance with Exile, when I can. I accidentally bought Avernum Escape from the pit, the new version and I was appalled when I started it. To me, it's no longer Avernum. :)

6 hours ago, Ess-Eschas said:

Spiderweb isn't just making the games look better, they are adapting the whole experience of the game based on the evolving knowledge of the video game industry.

Exactly what I was afraid of.

15 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

To me, it's no longer Avernum.

As I said in my previous post, there is much to like about three versions of Exile and Avernum! The wonderful thing about having three different versions of these games is that they all appeal to slightly different audiences, and slightly different sorts of players. Different people can choose the sort of experience they want to play! This means we have a really diverse group of players and opinions on these boards, and that’s a really good thing!

Spiderweb themselves has good things to say along these lines. I paraphrase here, but when talking about the remakes, Spiderweb said that they wouldn’t necessarily appeal to everyone. They mentioned that, if the original Avernum 1 was a player’s perfect game then, if they changed anything, the game would no longer be perfect in that player's eyes. Making remakes is a balancing act between crafting an experience using modern technology, and the insights gained through progress and experience, and making alterations that might not be liked by players of the older versions. The result are three sets of games that all feel rather different, that have different fan-bases, and that’s great!

All that’s worrying me about your comments, ladyonthemoon, is that you seem to be saying some quite negative things about one version of the games based on very little information. It’s no problem at all if you prefer the older versions – you’d be far from alone in that regard! – but it seems a touch unfair to judge a series of games without having experienced much of them yourself.

You seem to be basing your opinions on a few seconds or a few minutes of gameplay only. While I’m sure that’s enough to know whether you like the general look and feel of the games, just be aware that you’ve only really scratched the surface of what the new engine has to offer.

I’m a little concerned that your comments are based more on some assumptions you might have about ‘modern’ video game design, rather than the actual content of the games themselves. I hope that’s not the case, because if you choose what to play based on assumptions – rather than on experience, and trying out games with an open mind – then there’s a danger you’ll miss out on some really good experiences. At least from my perspective, I think that would be doing yourself a disservice.