Well now...Geneforge Series keeps getting better

It would appear that whenever I think Geneforge cant get any better, it does... in ways that make life a 2nd priority. I read that somewhere on internet that you get hirelings in ALL Geneforge series that function much like Arcanum. I knew that G3 had it but I wasn't sure if they appeared in the rest of them. That's kind of neat. I happened to notice when I was playing the last Geneforge. Is there a set requirement for keeping any of them in G1-5 like in Arcanum. I used to just do that when playing Arcanum. They would say that they needed to do something and I would just keep them from doing exactly that. Im going try when im done this playthrough with some of the npcs in G2. Hopefully it works.

Geneforge 1 actually does NOT have any followers you can recruit. Geneforge 2 has MANY (Including a Vlish, a Battle Beta, and a RAT. Yes, a RAT.), and usually they either automatically join, or you have to pass a diplomatic check, and you cannot control them, leaving them to the whims of the AI. Geneforge 3 has Alwan and Greta, who join you at the beginning and can follow you throughout the game to the end. Geneforge 4... I've only seen one possible character late in the game, and one part where you can recruit a few for one region. It's been so long since Geneforge 5, I can't really say there.

Unlike the characters in G2 and G3 that can be kept for the game, I believe that in G4 all the recruitable characters are limited in when / where / how long you can have them. I can think of at least three totally optional recruits, plus one particular section of the game were you are expected (though not required) to recruit followers to handle a specific scenario.

Unless I'm totally forgetting something, G3 is the only one that has long-term followers with actual dialogue, meaningful upgrades, etc. In the other cases, they are either very time-limited like Triumph said, or basically just replacement creations that are free in essence but uncustomizable (and generally sub-optimal).

I agree with Slarty's post, Geneforge 3 has actual dialogues and stuff, which again reminds me of KOTOR. Greta and Alwan will talk to you often at times, and they'll argue about something else too.

In Geneforge 4, you can (I think) hire a creature from the pens in Perikalia or something. Jeff should consider adding mercs too at later games.

-----

-Nightwatcher