Help with changing Shaper

I just started Geneforge 1 and played as an Agent. Reached the Takers and I feel like Agent just isn't that fun because all I do is shoot fireballs and it's really hard to get past some places. Could someone please teach me how to change my character to Shaper, it seems like a much more fun role. Also, I was tinkering with the files myself and I think I changed the GFPref file to open with notepad... Now I don't know if the game itself will be affected.

My app is on Steam btw

You could just use Croikle's Editor. The only difference among the character classes is how many/few skill points you need in order to raise certain skills, so just give yourself higher shaping stats.

(Er, there may also be something to do with Essence, I guess, so you may need to boost Intelligence. I forget.)

Changing the GFPref file to open with notepad won't create any problems, so long as you don't edit and save anything.

If you want to look like a Shaper too, a similar but equally difficult option to editing the save games would be to load the program into a Memory Searcher (like MHS) and do Trial And Error until you get the memory which contains your character's class. Note that I've not done this on a steam's version of Geneforge, but it should be the same.

You could just use Croikle's Editor. The only difference among the character classes is how many/few skill points you need in order to raise certain skills, so just give yourself higher shaping stats.

(Er, there may also be something to do with Essence, I guess, so you may need to boost Intelligence. I forget.)

Also changes how you scale with essence (shaper>guard>agent), energy (agent>shaper, guard), and health (guard>agent>shaper)