Avadon 2, Battle with Miranda

Dogger60

This is a scripted fight that requires you to do specific things:

You need to to have a character within 3 tiles of a Corruption horror when it dies so the orb transfers from it to your character. Then use a curing potion to remove the ensnare. Next move that character that now has an orb circling it to within 5 tiles of Miranda. On the next turn her shield should drop and you can attack her. Most of the time you do enough damage so that you don't have to repeat.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. If you have any left now. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have had all 3 chars having orb surrounding them but main or Shaman didn't do damage on Miranda and didn't get ensnaring either, maybe I killed 1 small Horror too much.

Gotta try this killing 1 of those with long range attacks since if close range fight then 1 of big Horrors (which are apparently unkillable) tend to block my path.

doesn't seem to matter, tinker and blade had orb but still no dmg to Miranda, tinker (who got ensraning once, cured it right after getting it) couldn't attack against Miranda next turn after getting orb since Miranda summoned replacement too quickly and tinker got stuck 1 block away from small horror and next turn no damage on Miranda and killing more small horrors (on distance) didn't bring any msgs. I got 1st msg saying something about orb transferring (no dmg) and next saying disrupting something (same) and big Horrors regenerating (still no dmg on Miranda).

my sincere opinion: as dumb battle as battle can be, kill 1 enemy and hope that killer gets orb and and manages get to near enuf to hit main target and hoping attack does damage.

that battle is bad enuf since small horrors put chars on fatigue (bad for shaman) with their energy attack and big horrors tend to throw chars around map.

gotta try killing small horror 1-2 blocks away on it and next turn trying to hit Miranda.

doesn't seem to matter, tinker and blade had orb but still no dmg to Miranda, tinker (who got ensraning once, cured it right after getting it) couldn't attack against Miranda next turn after getting orb since Miranda summoned replacement too quickly and tinker got stuck 1 block away from small horror and next turn no damage on Miranda and killing more small horrors (on distance) didn't bring any msgs. I got 1st msg saying something about orb transferring (no dmg) and next saying disrupting something (same) and big Horrors regenerating (still no dmg on Miranda).

That message about the orb disrupting Miranda's shield is the one you should be looking out for: it means that you can damage her for a couple of rounds.

I'm doing something wrong and can't figure what, got msg saying about disrupt (and got orb and ensnaring (non-killer got those although)) but still Miranda was immune to ranged attacks (razor, bow and spirit) and after killing next small horror (1st big was busy with freezing turret and 2nd with hellhound) I got msg saying about evaporating and couldn't deal dmg on Miranda after that either (and shortly after that quit game).

Finally did it, got disruption msg and Miranda's shield vanished (although not immediately, round after I had gotten few blocks away from her and attacked once, maybe that was my orig. mistake), Shaman was those few blocks away from her and Blade few blocks away from Shaman and Tinker (who got ensnaring) few blocks away from Blade and latters 2-3 blocks away from small horror with orb, got 2 rounds attacking on Miranda (dropped her health to half) and then she regained shield (after Corruption tried to infiltrate her) and after few rounds msg on top said something about disrupt again (couldn't get to attack on Miranda on that round) and then battle was over.

Still as stupid battle as possible, alot things needed to do and then we can't even kill her. Only Rentar-battle in A3 is more stupid.

• 4 months later...

I had been playing my entire game on torment. However, after so many grueling battles that took so many attempts to complete, I got sick of how ridiculously impossible it was to finish off Miranda, with those stupid horrors interfering with everything. So I finally dumbed down my setting to "Hard" and finished the battle. I am very disappointed that so many of the main battles in this game were so ridiculous on torment setting. It is making me seriously considering never to play another Avadon episode, though I have played all the exile, avernum, and avadon games so far. Having these stupid opponents that can wipe out the entire party in one or two shots on torment is too tormenting for me. It deprives me of even "imagining" that I "won" the game; at least with other Spiderweb games, I would only lose once or twice, then got the victory and went on after reloading. But this game has been very exasperating and, hence, less "believable" than any other I can think of.

I am just persisting so I can "finish" this game and then I think I will never play Avadon 2 again...

I had been playing my entire game on torment. However, after so many grueling battles that took so many attempts to complete, I got sick of how ridiculously impossible it was to finish off Miranda, with those stupid horrors interfering with everything. So I finally dumbed down my setting to "Hard" and finished the battle. I am very disappointed that so many of the main battles in this game were so ridiculous on torment setting. It is making me seriously considering never to play another Avadon episode, though I have played all the exile, avernum, and avadon games so far. Having these stupid opponents that can wipe out the entire party in one or two shots on torment is too tormenting for me. It deprives me of even "imagining" that I "won" the game; at least with other Spiderweb games, I would only lose once or twice, then got the victory and went on after reloading. But this game has been very exasperating and, hence, less "believable" than any other I can think of.

I am just persisting so I can "finish" this game and then I think I will never play Avadon 2 again...

What I don't get is that you deny the chance to like it just because you can't beat it on torment... that difficulty setting is there for a reason. To be insanely difficult but beatable.

That said, I never understood that need of playing on highest difficulty settings, in Spiderweb or any other games. If you are not having fun, why don't you just trigger a lower level of challenge?

I have successfully finished every spidweb game on torment before. But Avadon 2 takes so many reloads and trying to get past certain points takes hours.

I play on torment level because I enjoy it being more of a challenge than on other levels.

I am not a newbie, but I get tired of how many monsters can take out the whole crew in one round. Even a rat needs to be attacked by the whole group with a turret firing, and it can inflict unspeakable violence on a character in one shot.

I'm glad to hear that a beta tester (Randomizer?) made it through on torment.

I've been playing SpidWeb games since Exile, and this one is by far the most irritating.

I also hate that you can't re-use a spell for a dozen rounds. I long for the old days when casters could just have spell-points and you could use them as you saw fit. I think I despise this "skills" stuff, and even more so in this game than in the earlier ones.