Finding encumbrance in Exile 1

malthaussen

I've started playing the Exile trilogy for kicks, and it looks to me like there is no way to find out what a character's ac or encumbrance is, at least in the first game. Am I missing something, or is this the case? There doesn't seem to be any option to examine or describe equipment (which there is in the later games of the series).

I love the fact that there are six characters in the party, it gives so much flexibility. Wish Jeff would do a new open-world crpg with six-char parties, instead of cutting the number down even further.

-- Mal

There is no encumbrance, maximum weight, in Exile 1 or 2. The limit is the number of available slots to store items that aren't equipped. Exile 3 does consider weight as well as inventory slots.

Items that are in inventory can be examined by using, I think, the ? at the right of the inventory slot, but not when equipped.

It's easier to program for smaller parties. I miss the larger 6 character parties, too.

If you look at the item info window for a piece of armor, it should have an "Encumbrance" blank. (I forget if it was called something else.) IIRC, you can cast Mage Spells just fine with a total 0 or 1 Encumbrance equipped, but beyond that you'll randomly fail. Defense skill provides a chance of randomly reducing your encumbrance in battle, so with 20 Defense skill spellcasters can safely go up to 2, again IIRC.