What is Jeff working on now?

adc.

Peter Jackson might be a better choice with more experience dealing with CGI monsters especially spiders and dragons after The Hobbit. Plus they have the same taste in beards. :)

I don't know. He turned a 320-page book into over 9 hours of film. I shudder to thing how long the Avernum films would be. :p

I just recently tried to watch "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" and I couldn't help wishing Peter Jackson had made the Narnia films. I mean yeah there probably would have been bloat, but the result could hardly have been worse. Of course I say that not having watched any part of "The Hobbit" yet.

since each game takes ~60 hrs to finish then ........... of course in movie can be focused only into main plot and leave sidequests off.

Not only that, but he'd take out details that (insert one) didn't film well/seemed boring to him/he just couldn't be bothered to fit in. (See, for instance, the film version of LOTR: Return of the King.)

Maybe because I am used to it I tolerate major details being dropped out of movies that have been made from books a lot better than I tolerate lots of new material being added, much of which seems really different from what the book intended (a bigger problem in the Hobbit, but present in Jackson's version of the LOTR as well).

I get what you're saying. Though from what I could tell, most of the new stuff in LOTR was at least drawn from Tolkien's other Middle-earth stories and so was much more canon (except for the Elves in the battle at Helm's Deep, and the participation of the Host of the Dead at Minas Tirith itself). The new stuff in The Hobbit... not so much.

Then again, I'm a purist when it comes to books I love being adapted for the screen.

Edited by springacres

Most of the changes in the LOTR did not seem to be as much for the purpose as turning it into a Hollywood blockbuster as did the changes to the Hobbit. It seemed like the intentions in the Hobbit were to turn it into an Indiana Jones movie (the scene in the mines) or Transformers or Avengers, not a screen version of the Hobbit.