Reason for the Corruption[Spoilers]

trinko

I've finished part of the corruption core region and so far I've seen 3 different explinations for the cause of the corruption:

1) infernals summoned to do work flood their way out of a portal

2) Woman trying to set up wormholes to speed travel

3) 3 priests summoning some invincilble force that gets mad at them

What's odd is that in each case it says now you know why the corruption started. That text is wrong if the 3 things are supposed to have happened simultaneously.

I tried to tell the news to the Base C commander but she wasn't interested.

Is this resolved somewhere?

Thanks!

No, and one of the Corruption constructs tells you that none of them is the truth and not even the city is really there.

"No. You have seen fragments. Illusions. Lies. There is one truth."

"The Corruption has always been. It will always be. This ruin. Is another illusion."

On the other hand, "fragments" implies there's some truth to them, and we're also told explicitly that the Corruption came into existence five hundred years ago. If we assume everyone's basically telling the truth, then the best conclusion I can come up with is that the Pact's idea of what "the Corruption" is and the construct's idea of what "the Corruption" is aren't actually the same.

Here's a possible explanation I cooked up that fits the facts we've been given:

The Corruption as we see it in-game is actually a piece of an alternate reality that's leaked over into the world of Lynaeus. The same thing has happened to other worlds at other times, and each of the "origins of the Corruption" that we've seen tells the stories of how one of those worlds made contact with the Corruption: note that the common theme in all of them is people using powerful magic to connect to other worlds and having it go horribly wrong. To humans it looks like a big piece of the world has suddenly turned into a hellscape, but to the native entities of the Corruption, it looks like the exact opposite has happened: all the pieces of the Corruption that have leaked into different worlds are part of their single, unified Pure Land, and it's our various worlds that are encroaching upon it and causing disturbances.

It is weird, though, that the writing doesn't have the character acknowledge the multiple explanations.

Dikiyoba.

I thought it was amusing... but then, I have a fondness for jokes that are completely unacknowledged by the characters.

No, and one of the Corruption constructs tells you that none of them is the truth and not even the city is really there.

Of course, the construct could also be lying. And the 'illusions' are quite similar, which suggests that maybe the truth is not so different (or this alleged embodiment of unbridled chaos is pretty unimaginative).

I wonder if "this ruin" doesn't refer to the dilapidated state of the buildings, rather than their existance.