Is there a better way anyone recommends me to level up

Vexivero

I've been looking at the strategy central topics and wondering if my approach has been wrong in terms of the entire gameplay

So far, I've been playing Geneforge 1-5 demos as a melee character. G1-3 I've been using a Guardian, G4 I used the warrior and G5 I used a servile.

I've been ignoring shaping and leveling up only my own combat skills. I'll usually level mechanics up to 8 and leadership anywhere from 4-6 early on, then focus only on melee weapons, quick action, strength(usually get it around 8-9), dexterity(usually level it up anywhere from 5-7), intelligence(3-4), endurance(5-6), and throw a few into blessing magic if I can.

I'm just wondering, as I'm probably going to buy the Geneforge Bundle in the next month or so, is this a good way to play to the end of the games? Especially in the later Geneforges, some of the creatures like War Tralls and Drakons and whatnot seem like they might be extremely hard to defeat using a melee character. But then again, my character is still relatively low in terms of levels. Any advice? Should I be fine using a melee only character, or should I start investing in shaping and/or magic?

—Vexivero, who hasn't played Geneforge in a long time. Maybe it's time to buy the full versions of those.

I've played a Melee fighter in G2, G3, and G4. It's definitely doable.

Dexterity is no help to Melee fighters. Neither is intelligence (unless you're just really struggling to cast your Blessing spells). You'll find those skill points better used elsewhere. In G2, Parry is uber-powerful; Parry is toned down in later games, but still very worthwhile in G3, and worth a bit of investment in G4. Not sure about G5 (never played past the demo of G5).

Parry is still helpful in G5 since a melee fighter can easily get swarmed in a few zones where backing in a corner and fighting it out works very well.

With items and training you can make the lowest versions of creations without using skill ponts in the later games.

Dexterity is okay for some places where missile attackers have an easier time and to use crystals to clear swarms.

By "ignoring shaping" do you mean that you aren't using any creations? Or are you just not investing points in shaping skills? Late game battles are much easier if you have some powerful creations, but you don'y really need to invest in shaping beyond the minimum for a creation type.

I don't do either. Usually, if there's a big boss fight I'll make a few creations to help draw damage off of me, especially if there are many enemies. After it's done though, I'll absorb the creations.

I find dexterity isn't useful against high level creatures as well. Intelligence is useful to a degree, especially if you cast that spell that increases your health, but you also want to cast other spells for a big fight. I only speak from demo experience though, I'm sure in later levels it might nullify that as you get more essence.

—Vexivero, who still doesn't like creating creations. It's like hiring a stripper to write your english paper.