Summoning Character Advice

I want to make a shaper but don't want to go through the same garbage that you do in Geneforge 4 and 5. In those games and geneforge 3 a bit as well, you really cant just take 2 or even 1 creation with you as a shaper through the game. It just wont work because if you try that in those games, you will lose that creature in 1 strike of a high level boss creature. The problem is that G4 and 5 have such high character levels compared to the earlier games. You can get to lvl 50 or even 60 for that matter!

I wanted to make a shaper that can pick up a easy to get mid lvl creation and turn that creation into a tough guy. I can use all my healing, buffing and blessing on that creation, hasting it and using items that aid its attacks. Are those games mentioned the best to use for that, or should I just cross Geneforge 3-5 off. So should I go back to G1 and G2 for playing that way?

Vlish are perfectly serviceable through the endgame in G3. Kind of overpowered, if anything. They'll be pretty fragile by the time you get to the last couple of islands, but if you can keep them out of melee and AoE range their damage compares well to tier 3 and 4 creations, their attacks inflict useful debuffs, and they're dirt cheap, so you can hold onto a small pack of them and still have essence to spend on other creations and spells.

This is harder to do in G4 and 5 because of the higher character levels and more balanced creation list. You can get high level creations surprisingly early in some cases, especially if you rush to the Storm Plains in G5, but if you specifically want to keep a low tier creation through the endgame you're going to have a pretty hard time. I'd probably recommend a cryoa, as you can keep them out of the way of nastier attacks if you're careful, and they do respectable damage for their essence cost.

Vlish ROCK in G3! Use your skill points carefully, get the ability to make on the second island, have enough Intelligence to have enough to essence to make a full party, push your Magical Creation skill as high as possible to make Vlish as high a level as you can, and lead your army of seven Vlish through the rest of the game. They will level up as you finish the second island, as you do the third island, as you do the fourth island, and as you do the fifth island. Vlish start out solid and they'll level nicely.