A5- New to the forum

Demigod

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum even though I have already played most of the games on the Avernum series and Avadon. With that said, I don't know much about how to develop effective parties, I have always played just going with my instincts. Now I decided to start a new party on Avernum 5 on Hard difficulty, and I would like your help in building my characters. I don't want any pre-made builds, just some info on things like: Are pole weapons better than melee weapons? Should I get a character that uses exclusively ranged weapons?Do I need to put points into Luck? Should I focus on getting hardiness or defense?

I figured I would go with a 1 melee/1 priest/1 mage/1 ranged standard party. So, do you have any tips?

In general, dual-wielded melee weapons are a stronger option than pole weapons, which in turn are a stronger option than sword-and-shield, but all three options are viable. A pure archer isn't exactly the strongest build on its own, but archery as a supporting skill is a solid option, especially to conserve spell energy on spellcasters. Luck isn't a particularly good skill and you can safely ignore it for the most part. Hardiness is better defensively than defense in itself, but defense lets you unlock the hidden skill Parry, which is very powerful.

Having said all that, any party with at least one solid melee tank (high Endurance and Parry), one mage and one priest can do fine, even on Torment difficulty, and it's possible to get by even with a gimmick party that doesn't have all three of those things. So yeah, if that's the party you want to go with and you've done okay in the rest of the Avernum series, you should do okay in Avernum 5 too.

I like to raise Strength and Melee Weapons about equally, going for whichever one is cheaper at the time. Quick Action allows mages to act earlier in the turn order just like it does on fighters, but the chance to get an extra melee attack doesn't apply to spells. (Quick Strike, on the other hand, has the same chance to give extra action points to anyone.) I never bothered with Intelligence on non-spellcasters; putting a few points in it lets you unlock Anatomy, which helps improve melee damage, but Anatomy isn't that great.