Just curious: time between releases?

Triumph

So, if I remember correctly, the last game Jeff released was Avernum: Escape from the Pit. It came out for Mac...near the very end of 2011, I believe. Is the correct? And now it's late summer 2013. Sometime before the end of this year Avadon 2 is supposed to come. Is that an usually long gap between releases for Jeff? It seems to long to me, but I've never really paid close attention before and I've not been around nearly as long as some of the true veterans.

Thanks for indulging my curiosity!

If I remember correctly, BoA development lagged quite a bit, and there was a long time between the release of whatever its predecessor was and it. That was accidental; BoA just took forever to make, and the lag was really bad for SW. This, on the other hand, has been (I think) basically intentional. Avadon did extremely well, and A:EftP did extremely well, and I think part of the reason for that is that Jeff spent some time marketing instead of diving into a new game right away. I think the other part of the reason for that is that he's spent a LOT of time making Avadon 2, because there's a fair bit riding on it (as the sequel to his most successful game ever).

So yes, I think this is an unusually long time between releases, though not unprecedented, and not reason to worry, and not unintended.

From beta testing I can tell that Jeff has spent a lot more time than when he did Avadon: The Black Fortress. There are more new graphics with a new class, male and female graphics for all 5 classes, new objects, and new scenery for outdoors. Also there seems to be more text than the first Avadon. Also Jeff said that this game would have a higher level cap so there will probably be more content.

Remakes take less time since most of the old text is available. Avernum: Crystal Souls will not take as long to be released.

Plus, Avadon 2 will be released for all three platforms at once. The months of work dealing with compatibility and beta testing for the iPad and PC versions have to happen upfront, instead of after the Mac version is released. That is another reason for the extra-long development time.

Dikiyoba hates turnips, FYI. They are terribly untrustworthy.