Geneforge 1: Unhandled Exception: c00000005

randomusername

I bought Geneforge 1 as part of the Humble Bundle and have been having a blast, but ever since I reached the Icy Tunnels, things haven't been going so well. Every time I try to save my game, or trigger an Autosave by going to the next screen, the game crashes with the following error:

Unhandled Exception: c00000005

At address: 0046261a

I've done the following in an attempt to fix it:

* Uninstalled and reinstalled Geneforge.

* Updated Direct X.

* Gone back to an earlier System Restore point.

* Updated the shortcut to use Windows Compatibility.

Things I have NOT done:

* Updated my video drivers. There are none available for this machine, and besides, I'm playing a 10 year old game. That shouldn't matter.

* I have not installed or uninstalled any software in the last several months, other than Windows updates.

I've noticed I can reload earlier saves and play those just fine, so it really seems like this particular save file is corrupt. Maybe the code isn't handling the Icy Tunnels correctly?

I'm running Windows 98 SP3. Any help would be appreciated.

If you can reload earlier saves and they work then what's the problem ? Unless they also produce crashes once you get to the icy tunnels ofc.

It's not as if savegame corruption is totally unheard of, just usually resulting in all the items in containers missing.

The problem is that, even though I can reload and replay a large chunk of the game, I'd like to know what caused the issue so I can avoid it in the future. I guess I was hoping for something other than "yep, save corruption happens, deal with it," even if the game is 10 years old. It's not like I'm not getting my money's worth, but I probably won't be spending a lot of time playing if corruption is inevitable. Unfortunate, because I'm liking the storyline. Do the other Geneforge games have similar save corruption issues?

Avernum second trilogy has a corruption problem where all containers in new areas are empty after corruption occurs. So keep several different saves.

What you have sounds more like a compatibility problem where the original game is looking for something in an older Windows version that isn't in the same spot in newer versions.

The problem is that, even though I can reload and replay a large chunk of the game, I'd like to know what caused the issue so I can avoid it in the future.

Good luck with that. Afaik no one has ever found out why savegames corrupt in the way Randomizer describes (had it happen in G2 once, think also in G1).

I guess I was hoping for something other than "yep, save corruption happens, deal with it," even if the game is 10 years old. It's not like I'm not getting my money's worth, but I probably won't be spending a lot of time playing if corruption is inevitable. Unfortunate, because I'm liking the storyline. Do the other Geneforge games have similar save corruption issues?

Well, you simply will have to deal with it and prepare. Use all the save slots, they are there for a reason. And take this fwiw, but savegame corruption IS rare.

...I'd just like to go ahead and say that I've been playing SW games for over a decade, across many machines, and never once experienced this bug.

The rest of the posts in this thread make it seem as though file corruption will happen, and all the games suffer. This bug is pretty rare, as I understand it, which is why it's so hard to get rid of. You'll most likely be free from the bug if you play from another save, and indeed when you play other SW games. so don't be put off!