Well, I finished

txmimi

I persevered and finished A5, limping bruised and bloodied to the end.

I realize I'm likely not the primary demographic of an rpg, but I do enjoy the ones with some choices to make that affect the outcome, with some puzzling things to figure out, and a little humor thrown in. I'm not so keen on the fighting required, but recognize that it's a key part of the genre, so I go with it.

I found Avernum 4 and Avadon a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed them. I've played them through several times, seeking different outcomes each time. To me, they had a good balance of difficulty, fighting, and things to figure out. I liked them so much I bought Avernum Escape from the Pit, which I also enjoyed for the same reasons.

So, I began looking into the rest of the series and bought Avernum 5. While there are many things about it that I do like, it has just been too hard to be fun. I was surprised to find the difficulty so much higher on this game! It was very difficult to have enough access to all the healing/energy potions you needed, much less have enough money to buy them. About halfway through, I gave up and used the healing cheats the rest of the way. It was either that or quit completely.

I may give A6 a go, just to see how it works. I do thank everyone on this forum for all the times they helped me over particularly rough spots! It's a great community of support.

Jeff for the first time asked beta testers how they did fights in A5. After that lots of A4 exploits were removed from using terror wands to make a boss cower in the corner while you attacked with impunity to summoning up a horde of monsters and shades to do the fighting and damage taking for you. :)

You have to know which summons to use and where. In the Lake of Trials, summon shades are immune to most of the attacks. :)

Master of the Pit area it is useful to avoid him moving into range of the party to avoid getting a death curse in one encounter. Otherwise they just soak up damage instead of your party.

The older games difficulty was absurd. I completed some parts of Geneforge games but thats about it. All of the older games aren't worth the time of day as they just don't offer anything that the newer games don't do better. Avernum 5 has mini bosses every corner and its not only time-consuming but frustrating as well as you do marginal damage.

In Avadon you can at least take down an enemy within moderate time but in Avernum the health levels are ridiculous. Geneforge is ok with that but offers multiple other problems. Your main character can be taken out in 1 round if all enemies target him or her.

I think it comes down to would you rather play a game where 1 wrong move means a botched up battle. Or where you can get by with a few extra shots. I understand realism is important but you are playing games to have fun and masochism isn't fun.

I can't believe Avadon is made by the same guy that did those 2 other games. They are just lame.

I can't believe Avernum 5 is now an old game. For the record, A1-3 are quite different and don't really do much in the way of mini-bosses or scripted combat at all. That changed with the second Avernum trilogy. I think Geneforge first brought in the optional super-boss.

—Alorael, who recommends not turning up the difficulty in Avernum. Of course he doesn't play on high difficulty as a general rule, but the games with HP inflation really make doing so less fun.