A:EftP - Confused on where to start with Avernum

Escape from the Pit is a remake of Avernum 1 with additional content which is a remake of Exile 1 with additional content. Also there are changes in the game engine in each version.

Next year Avernum 2 will be remade as Avernum 2: crystal Souls and Avernum 3 will be made about 2 years after that. No mention on Avernum 4 to 6 since they are more recent and still run on newer computers.

Blades of Avernum will probably never be remade by Jeff Vogel. He may some day release the source code like he did with Blades of Exile.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Searching the forums is a good way to lose your sanity, so knowing where you left it helps. :)

1 and pit are same game except bit new content and graphics and quest log (praise the lord :p), Avernum 2 remake will/should(/we wish) come out next year and Avernum 3 rwmake will/should(/we hope) come out year after that.

Old 1st trilogy doesn't run on newest osx natively and same thing could be with windows too.

You could download the demos and try both, but I recommend starting with AEFTP. The older version is frankly a little painful to play. Whatever your opinion of the different skill and spell systems, the newer engine is packed with improvements that eliminate unnecessary tedium and annoyances.

See which one piques your interest more. If you are playing Avernum 1 and you like it, go with that. If you want to play Avernum 1 but want more enhanced features/graphics, go with Avernum Escape from the Pit. I prefer the remake but that doesn't mean that thats the only way :)

They are all great games regardless of whichever you pick so you really can't lose.

I actually already own them all. I played Eschalon a while back and went on a buying spree. Just need to decide which to play. I now see there is an ipad verson. UGH! :-)

If I start with Escape From The Pit, I assume the story would continue with the older 2 still (If its too good and I can't wait for the remake)? I would just have to get use to the older engine?

Except for what happens to a new town in Escape from the Pit, the story line of Avernum 2 follows Avernum 1 a few years later.

You do have to get used to a different game engine where you have to assign skill points in a different way. Magic works the same. Combat doesn't have battle disciplines since they started in Avernum 5. Caches started in Avernum 3.

As someone basically new to the series I must say that I think Avernum Escape From The Pit is the best game to start the series.

1. It's more "modernized" and user friendly.

2. The build system is less complex.

3. It still tells the very beginning of the story / lore, just like Avernum 1.

I was very happy that I had started the series with this game.

I'm actually considering to not play Avernum 1-3 altogether and just wait for the remakes of 2 and 3 and then move on to the second trilogy. While waiting, I will probably first play the other series.

Oh boy. What have I gotten myself into?

trapped to spiderweb. :p

I'm actually considering to not play Avernum 1-3 altogether and just wait for the remakes of 2 and 3 and then move on to the second trilogy. While waiting, I will probably first play the other series.

will be long wait, ~3 years appr, if you plan to play Geneforges then that takes 1st year and 1st Avadon takes 2 months and ACS same so you need to have something else to play for ~1.5 years.

That's not a bad move. As much as I love A1-3 (and BoA and Nethergate, which all use the same engine), I think I'm going to wait until the remakes before I replay these games.

• 4 weeks later...

Avernum: Escape From the Pit is the first game in the series remade with an improved engine.

Theres not much point point playing older ones now, you can start from the beginning of the story with AEFTP.

I cant wait for Avernum II: Crystal Souls, as Elile II Crystal Souls was my favorite previous Spiderweb game.

I can't go back to the old engine. I first played Exile, then Avernum, and now Avernum Mk. 2 and I hate the way the series is now, because I can't in good conscience tell people to start playing the series knowing they would have to switch back to the old engine for 2 and 3. I wish Jeff would just rush out the remakes before continuing Avadon because it's a lot easier to wait for a non-existent sequel than to not play existing games because you are waiting for the intervening games to be remade.