GeneForge Text Misaligned

spiderwebfan1

The text is misaligned such as for cost and the descriptions as shown below, among other things through the game. I am using Windows 7 64 bit with an optimus nvidia 555m processor & intel hd 2000 on my laptop and tried it on both with the latest drivers. I've tried the steam version and the humblebundle version both with change resolution and don't change resolution. I've even tried running in a window with dxwnd and using its various compatablity switches like fix GDI TextOutA placement among dozens of other switches. I'm more or less out of ideas.

Here you can see the description text blending in with the frame as it crosses the border, and the cost being misaligned.

XmAZgOC.png

I can only speculate but could there be a font issue? How would I know what is causing it on my computer? I'm willing to run any utility or apply patches and test things out.

Thanks for any help that may be provided.

That's just lame. I know I've experienced that once, but try using the compatibility mode.

Right click the shortcut>Properties>Compatibility tab>Tick the box then leave it to Windows SP 3 (or 2, if you like number two in some way).

-----

It might be your system's problem. As far as I can recall, I tried using Cheat Engine to raise my skill points to over 9000.

-----

If the suggestion above didn't work, try running it on a window, from this thread:

http://spiderwebforu...ten-easy-steps/

-----

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. When air strikes, harpoons, and nukes fail, you might consider waiting for a Divine Moderator's response.

-----

-Nightwatcher

EDIT: I don't really want to leave people hanging with questions, especially Geneforge players. I've tried looking for similar problems and I've found this:

http://pied-piper.er...net/topic/2/593

OR

Try downloading the demo from their official website. It might have the latest patches. And email Jeff about the issue. I hope I helped even a tiny bit.

Edited by Lunacy

That's just lame. I know I've experienced that once, but try using the compatibility mode.

Right click the shortcut>Properties>Compatibility tab>Tick the box then leave it to Windows SP 3 (or 2, if you like number two in some way).

Thanks for the help, for some reason I had to roll it back all the way to windows 98/me to get the text to work right. Windows 2k and XP sp 2&3 still had the issue. Running in 98 mode seems to make the mouse move incredibly slow so now on to trying to fix that issue.. I'd love to know what about my computer caused the text problem.

Thanks again for your reply!

As it was bugging me what the the exact fix of 98 comptability did the trick , I used the Microsoft Application Compatability Toolkit and tried all the compatability fixes. Out of the 367(339 were applied that didn't crash or were of the version lie catagory) available, this is one that fixed it:

Win98VersionLie - Hooks the GetVersion and GetVersionEx APIs so that they return Windows 98 version credentials (95 version lie worked also)

So something that is being done after the GetVersion routine in the program when the NT codepath activates that isnt' being done in the 98/95 code path is screwing up the alignment. And that is as much as I can narrow it down without dissambling it or source code.