Question about AP lose due to encumberance

In Avernum 1 Hardiness reduces armor penalty, or encumbrance, by 4% per level and Defense does nothing for encumbrance. Armor penalty will reduce your base chance to hit. Every 5% of armor penalty will reduce chance to hit by 5%. Armor penalty will also decrease 1 action point every 16% armor penalty, so at 32% armor penalty you have -2 AP.

I don't know anything about encumbrance in Avernum 2 or 3. In Avernum 3 I think Defense is the skill you need to reduce encumbrance.

• 1 month later...

@Randomizer so weaker armor with higher "+" is better than stronger without it (ea fine leather>studded leather)? Or is thee a way to "force" armor to use it's upper reduction limit?

As to the main topic i am asking because last post in this confused me (it says defense reduce AP penalty while hardiness reduce to hit penalty).

No, it's Hardiness. This is easy to test with the character editor. Give a new character a bunch of heavy armor, go into combat mode to make sure he has an AP penalty. Go back to the editor and raise Hardiness. Reload game and go into combat mode again. Penalty gone? Check.

As for the base damage reduction, it's random.

No, it's Hardiness. This is easy to test with the character editor. Give a new character a bunch of heavy armor, go into combat mode to make sure he has an AP penalty. Go back to the editor and raise Hardiness. Reload game and go into combat mode again. Penalty gone? Check.

As for the base damage reduction, it's random.

Thanx ;-)