Read only error, maybe causing "no space for dos partition" error?

Nyanchan

Okay i give up i've been at this since noon.

Can you help me?

i'm trying to set up dosbox to play some older pc games. The problem i have is setting up the partition. I keep getting the error "no space to create a DOS partition".

The thing is i have no partitions.

so far i have everything for this partition and these games in a file folder, but the folder is read only. I can uncheck the read only box, but after i close the properties window, it becomes checked again. there's no error message or anything like that, it just won't change. I have full permissions, and am an administrator. I've googled but i haven't found anything that worked. i opened command prompt and used the attrib command but it also failed. I made sure user account control was off also.

can someone help me with this?

if it's relevant, the folder i have all the games and .img files is called "games", and is on the desktop. I'm following this guide, trying to set up windows 98se. I also was using

Unless Mac has things like UAC now, it's for windows. (If you have no idea what you're doing in a topic, please don't post in said topic. that helps nobody)

A quick google suggests that the error thrown is because your OS is running on a non-DOS-compatible file system (tenpence says it's NTFS). Try installing dos on a spare flash drive (Which is most likely FAT), or, barring that, it might be better just to create an environment using VirtualBox and just install DOS there.

The guide you're linking to is for Windows 95 and not Windows 98. It doesn't specifically say that 98 won't work, but it does say that Windows 95 OSR2.5 will most likely not work because it is basically Windows 98, which implies that 98 will not work either. If you are hell-bent on installing Windows 98 in DOSbox, you may want to try this guide.

I'm not particularly hellbent on it so much as having a virtual 98 to play my games on. i've been using the latest virtualpc from microsoft(2007 won't work on my OS), but it isn't going muhc better. i can get the drive partitioned and start the install, but one it checks the bus, it goes to the prompt thingy "A:\>" and i can't make it work from there. nothing forwards the install, all i can do is reformat the virtual c: again.

this is the screen i land on:

eroorh.jpg

i've been advised to run both "Smartdrv" and to install the integrated components, but neither of those two does anything. The components button pulls up this message "win98 - Windows Virtual PC

Install or update Windows Virtual PC Integration Components

Click Continue to automatically set up Virtual PC Integration Components.

If Setup does not run automatically, open the CD-ROM drive inside the virtual machine and run Setup.

[Continue] [Cancel]"

and smartdrv does nothing. it doesn't put out the "bad command" line, it just doesn't do anything.