Noobie quesitons about Avernum 6

Hi, just bought Avernum 6 for my ipad and it is awesome. I love it. I have two questions now, but I cannot promise they will be my last!

I am not far in yet, I have just now completed the quest that allows me to use the pylons.

1. Does it get more difficult? I have chosen the 'normal' setting and it is not too tough, I wonder if the game will get harder? Otherwise I may have to restart and pick a higher difficulty. But I don't want to restart either :(

2. Will there be ways to do crafting? I have many items in my possession that sound very cool : alchemy kits, mortar and pestal, herbs, leather, iron bars, but I have no idea how to use them. I have also parchment and ink and pen, would be very cool to make my own scrolls. I don't want to sell them if I will later be able to get skills to use them.

Thank you for your time and for helping me, a noobie!

1. Demo is always "easy" to lure in unsuspecting new players. There are a few hard parts like the mine east of Dharmon. You can change the difficulty at any time however if you do it in the middle of a fight the monster's stats might not change.

2. There are people that will craft items for you using herbs, fine leather, and a few other things. However items like parchment, pen and ink, mortar and pestal aren't used in crafting. Some are needed for item quests.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave you remaining sanity at the door. Otherwise it will get lost as you proceed in the game. :)

1. Avernum 6 is not an easy game, but your abilities will determine the level you enjoy the most. You can always switch the difficulty (under Options) to Hard and see how you like it. If it is too tough you can always switch back to Normal without having to restart.

2. You can get other people to craft potions and wands for you. There are also people who can make custom armour and clothing for you. You cannot make those yourself however.

Some players download the free demo for Mac and PC computers. iPads don't have a demo version available, only the full game.

The Avernum 6 demo is the Great Cave where you start the game and is one of the largest of the recent games. Avadon: The Black Fortress demo only includes Zethron's Aerie of the Kva Lands and not the Wretches Warren needed to finish that main quest so it's the shortest. Some of the really old games had up to a third of the game available as a free demo.

Oh crap. So there is more to Avernum 6 than the great cave shown on the world map?

So, I can sense some confusion here.

Yeah, these games are pretty huge. The stuff you see on the world map is the playable area (plus, there are some extra bits, such as dungeons under towns, or bits of cave that go higher or lower than the stuff on your map). It's big. The Great Cave is one cave within the world of Avernum, so called because it's the biggest one. On the PC and Mac, this cave formed the demo area in this game, and players are unable to get past this into other areas of Avernum (such as the Eastern Gallery) without purchasing the full game. Since you're playing on the iPad, you're able to get to all of the stuff on the World Map, though you might have to complete quests to progress.

Ah thank you! An excellent resource! Especially as I hope to play more Spiderweb games after finishing this one.

I saved Treviass from the evil cult and what does he do? He leaves me to fend for myself against a pack of wild dogs and lizards! No thanks or anything!

I also found the hard difficulty to be a good balance for me, until I got to Dharmon. My first encounter with the skribbane dealers was not pleasant, let me tell you. I will try to adventure some more with some quests I have left to complete before coming back, but I may have to ease it back down to normal if this keeps up!

I find difficulty level hard to assess. I'm on my first Avernum (6 for the iPad) and I just retrieved the notes from the Tower Colony. I have it on Casual because I don't like repeating fights over and over. But since often I find that I'll get 3 town quests from the board and two will be easy and one will pound me into paste in 2 rounds, it's hard to know whether I have it too easy or too hard. Easier to assess with Skyrim where there is scaling. Good game though, if occasionally frustrating.

I've played D&D for 30 years and a number of computer games (Wizardry, Might and Magic, Temple of Elemental Evil, etc.) but the one I find is closest to my experience so far was a Mac game called Realmz, sadly no long playable on modern Macs. I like Avernum 6 a lot, but there are a few issues like the fact that you can only get popups on the map by touching them, but doing so makes it impossible to read through my fingers. Frustrating. Also I'd like a system similar to Skyrim where the journal list of quests tells you what you've done on the quest so far. When you have a lot of them, especially when you have to come back later, it's helps as a memory jogger.

Great game though.