Your music that you listen to-All Genres Accepted

Death Knight

For me I like to listen to mostly metal and anything that is powerful/cool or loud and angry :mad:

These consist of Rage Against the Machine, Hed Pe, Genitorturers, Audioslave, Monster Magnet, Soundgarden, Drowning pool, Alice in Chains, Jerry Cantrell, Animal Alpha, Djerv, Marilyn Manson, Hellyeah, Pantera, Metallica, Mudvayne ( a lil), Nirvana, and King's X.

But then I can listen to lighter/inspirational music once in a while-Drake Bell, Albert King, Tom Petty, Taylor Swift, Kevin Beachem Music (Haha my bro's band counts)

I usually like stuff that is like the above but anything I can sing 100% of the song to is good. Hopefully this summer me and my bro will play at a few coffee shops. I think that as of now music is very important to me. I think that I will likely be able to sing Man in the box (AIC) and a few other rock songs from other rock bands at a few local coffee shops in NJ.

So what is the type of music that everyone else in spiderweb listens to? Remember there is no wrong answer with music.

I listen to a wide variety of music from about the sixties onwards, but most prominent and dearest to my heart is probably punk. Which is varied in itself, probably the only reason I can settle on it as my favorite genre. Other than that, my taste ranges from old-school rap to viking death metal to norwegian pop to a brass band.

Right now my Album of the Month is Helloween - Walls of Jericho.

One of the best albums in my collection must be Nikolo Kotzev's Nostradamus.

Other than that, my taste ranges from old-school rap to viking death metal to norwegian pop to a brass band.

Are you implying that you are Norwegian, or that Norwegian Pop is distinct enough for an own sub-genre?

When I say I listen to all genres of music, I mean it. Even country and rap, the traditional exclusions, and even the more obscure things like the occasional Gregorian chant. My preferred music, though, changes based on my mood, and usually alternates between pop while I'm in the car; indie rock/pop if I'm cheery; EDM if I want to dance or am excited; classical, punk, or alternative rock if I'm angry or enthused; and anything else if the mood strikes me.

Yeah it seems that there are a lot of great bands from outside the us, even moreso than I would think. I found that a lot of the music/bands I just started listening to are from europe or outside USA. Even though rock/metal has mostly waned quite a bit, outside the us its just getting started again. Its friggin awesome.

Like Goldenking, there are a few songs or artists I enjoy in pretty much every genre- including rap and country. I never quite understood blanket distaste for something so broad as "country music". To me, Western Swing, Honky Tonk, Bluegrass, Country Pop, and Rockabilly seem varied enough that one of them must appeal. For instance, I tend to prefer country that borders on folk, like Emmylou Harris or the Cowboy Junkies- although some occasional boogie woogie can be fun.

In general, my music tastes seem to overlap with Dinti's a fair amount, and I'm usually able to find some common ground with Nikki and ADoS.

For me I like to listen to mostly metal and anything that is powerful/cool or loud and angry :mad:

Oh boy do I have something for you!

My favorite band is called Van Canto, and they're an A Capella Power Metal band. Yes, you heard that right, they do the guitar sounds with their mouths, and they only have a drummer because the beatboxers they auditioned for all passed out halfway through the third song on their first album. And they're more than just a gimmick, they've got really awesome songs too, like "Speed of Light", and "Lost Forever", and "If I Die In Battle". They also do a lot of covers of other metal bands' songs, including Nightwish's "Wishmaster" and Metallica's "Battery" and "Master of Puppets". Check them out, I think you might like what you hear :)

When I say I listen to all genres of music, I mean it. Even country and rap, the traditional exclusions, and even the more obscure things like the occasional Gregorian chant. My preferred music, though, changes based on my mood, and usually alternates between pop while I'm in the car; indie rock/pop if I'm cheery; EDM if I want to dance or am excited; classical, punk, or alternative rock if I'm angry or enthused; and anything else if the mood strikes me.

I knew a guy in high school who only liked country and rap. I once listened to a mix tape he made (do the young 'uns even know what those are anymore??) that was basically Snoop Dogg and Garth Brooks. The transitions were .... interesting.

Mix tapes (more often CD's) are still a thing, though mix playlists are more a thing now and will continue on that trajectory. People love to show how diverse and "good" their taste in music is, and so they'll continue mashing together compositions like Carl Orff's "O Fortuna" with Kid Cudi's "Mr. Solo Dolo pt. 2" to create some very interesting combinations.

I like music from many genres, although very little rap or country. My favorite artists include, but are not limited to, Flogging Molly, Guns 'N Roses, Simon & Garfunkel, Regina Spektor, Queen, Billy Joel, the Beatles, the Killers, Postal Service, Dropkick Murphys, and the Guggenheim Grotto.

Aw, man. I used to scrobble to last.fm specifically to answer questions/threads like this. I haven't had it installed on my computer for a while, though. Anyway, my favourite artists include The Smiths, Radiohead, Regina Spektor, Laura Marling, The Beatles, Jenny Owen Youngs, Pulp, Sigur Rós, Go Sailor, The Cure, and Joy Division

Oh boy do I have something for you!

My favorite band is called Van Canto, and they're an A Capella Power Metal band. Yes, you heard that right, they do the guitar sounds with their mouths, and they only have a drummer because the beatboxers they auditioned for all passed out halfway through the third song on their first album. And they're more than just a gimmick, they've got really awesome songs too, like "Speed of Light", and "Lost Forever", and "If I Die In Battle". They also do a lot of covers of other metal bands' songs, including Nightwish's "Wishmaster" and Metallica's "Battery" and "Master of Puppets". Check them out, I think you might like what you hear :)

Thats a will do and thanks! I always love music because its the one thing other than games where you never can have enough of. I find out about more stuff all the time from movies/what not. Its awesome.

Seeing as you recommended something, I have a band if you like grunge. I started listening to a band a while back (6 years) called kings x. They are very interesting and I can't really put a label on them. The singing is very melodic but the riffs on some of their earlier albums (about 5) are very grungish and sound like hard rock. Look up the song-"Dogman". The only thing that annoys me is that they were labeled as christian rock due to their inspirational lyrics and what not. Thats not the problem. What annoyed me is that when the singer came out, they stopped selling them at certain christian stores.

It was annoying because they come to jersey a lot when touring and the group of 3 are really just cool guys to talk/hang with. It sucks because the singer and band altogether are some of the most under appreciated bands. I'd really like to meet them once before I go to the bone orchard :)

Rock and Western Classical are my bread and butter. I love jazz music, but I acquire it at a slow rate. My favorite artists include: The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Bach, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Bob Dylan, Rachmaninoff, Mozart, Nirvana, Miles Davis, Beethoven, The Doors, Simon and Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, Dave Brubeck, Arcade Fire, etc, etc. I reset my plays in iTunes on a yearly basis: right now the top ten most played tracks consist entirely of the album The Queen is Dead. This fact indicates my habit of focusing on a few albums at any given time.

Like Goldenking, there are a few songs or artists I enjoy in pretty much every genre- including rap and country. I never quite understood blanket distaste for something so broad as "country music".

"Country" is a broad genre, although I think people are referring to the content of typical country music stations when they express a dislike for "country." In the rural United States, country is usually the predominant genre; people who grow up there will simply say "I don't like country" as a result. I personally listen to rockabilly, bluegrass, roots rock, and whatnot.

On the other hand, I actually don't like rap at all. There is no rap in my music library.

There are no genres that I totally avoid, including the much maligned rap. However, I dislike many things, including a substantial amount of rap. (And anything my sister subjects me to, as a matter of principle. :p ) Across the range of genres my favorite artists are; Fort Minor, TFK/Linkin Park, Disturbed, Nickelback (gasp), Blue Stali, The Script, Weird Al Yankovic, ROOKiEZ is PUNK'D (jpop), and Chopin.

I might be in the minority in that I don't listen to music very often. It's distracting for classwork, and for games, I prefer to not overwrite the sounds and music from them--no matter what game, with rare exceptions, but even then it's not done with music. There's very few moments where I'll actually sit down and listen to music specifically, so most of it then comes from game music in the background as I play.

That being said, when I do listen to music by itself, my tastes vary between genres, although the pool is shallow and constantly shifting--I don't partake much, so there's little reason not to be picky. In that pool has contained music from most genres--just not rap and country. Rock and some metal is a personal favorite, or was. I'm not quite sure anymore.

I only listen to music if I have time (which I don't have everyday). I like rock, metal like Bullet for my Valentine, Skillet, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Nightwish, Avenged Sevenfold, Dope, From first to Last etc.

and classical, piano instrumentals like Beethoven's Symphonies, Fur Elise , Voltaire etc.

But I like Lacie's Melody above all.

-----

I don't like pop, rap, country, Kpop, Encyclopedia Dramatica etc.

-----

-Nightwatcher

I feel like I've posted in topics like this before, but hey. I'll take the +1

I listen to a variety of music. Right now I have some Goldfinger playing. I also listen to SOAD and Ben Folds (Five). A lot of my music library is filled with classical (note the little "c") music, from Beethoven to Mahler. I also like all manners of jazz, and have a bit, ranging from Benny Goodman to Maynard Ferguson.

I listen to everything. EVERYTHING! There's no genre that I don't like something from, but if forced to choose, my top 10 albums would be something like:

Tom Waits: "Frank's Wild Years"

The Magnetic Fields: "69 Love Songs"

Leonard Cohen: "Songs From a Room"

Neutral Milk Hotel: "In An Aeroplane Over the Sea"

Antony and the Johnsons: "I Am a Bird Now"

David Bowie: "Hunky Dory"

Kurt Weill: "Threepenny Opera 1954 Off Broadway Cast Album" (the original German one is good too)

Benjamin Britton "Peter Grimes" (the original 1950s recording)

Sufjan Stevens "Seven Swans"

Velvet Undergournd "White Light/White HEat"

Of course, this list would change depending on the day.

These consist of Rage Against the Machine, Hed Pe, Genitorturers, Audioslave, Monster Magnet, Soundgarden, Drowning pool, Alice in Chains, Jerry Cantrell, Animal Alpha, Djerv, Marilyn Manson, Hellyeah, Pantera, Metallica, Mudvayne ( a lil), Nirvana, and King's X.

But then I can listen to lighter/inspirational music once in a while-Drake Bell, Albert King, Tom Petty, Taylor Swift, Kevin Beachem Music (Haha my bro's band counts)

I usually like stuff that is like the above but anything I can sing 100% of the song to is good. Hopefully this summer me and my bro will play at a few coffee shops. I think that as of now music is very important to me. I think that I will likely be able to sing Man in the box (AIC) and a few other rock songs from other rock bands at a few local coffee shops in NJ.

So what is the type of music that everyone else in spiderweb listens to? Remember there is no wrong answer with music.

I used to be really into melodeath (especially the gothenburg sound), but my tastes have drifted to a more prog sound, so bands like opeth, amaran, meshuggah, periphery, gojira, animals as leaders, orphaned land, eternal tears of sorrow, wintersun, tesseract, vildhjarta, dream theater, evergrey, symphony x, pain of salvation, john petrucci, liquid tension experiment, myrath, animations, division by zero, seventh wonder, echosilence, queensryche, tool and the agonist. Most of them have at least some growling, so take this with a grain quite a healthy serving of salt; but it's all to some extent prog (or even in some cases, math) metal.

Edited by Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas

Formerly, mostly film and video game soundtracks - though also a lot of classical music and folk or various shades of folk/rock/punk/celtic. More recently, I also added a small subset of metal (symphonic mostly, eg. Nightwish).

Not long ago, I found out that the kind of stock epic music used in cinematic trailers is actually available by itself (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trailer_music), and ever since then my MP3 player has been mostly playing stuff by Two Steps From Hell / Thomas Bergersen and Immediate Music, in addition to Murray Gold's vast collection of Doctor Who scores.

(Since I mostly listen to music while riding a bicycle or exercising these days, I tend far more toward louder/faster and epic stuff than I used to.)

Also, http://www.last.fm/user/Arancaytar

• 1 month later...

Jeez, its been 2 years and the best thing that's come from Vampire The Masquerade-Bloodlines- was the band Genitorturers rather than the game itself. I still will play it if I ever get another pc, but can't believe how one of my fav bands can come from a video game. There's more views on the game page of youtube for that song rather than the original band page, lol.

I also listen to most music genres out there. Sublime, RHCP, Daft Punk, DeadMau5, Eminem, Macklemore, INXS, Aerosmith, Motley Crue, Warren G, Nate Dogg, Snoop Dogg, Beck, Gorillaz (and Deltron 3030), Phantom...I think that's what my combined Gorillaz/Snoop Dogg/Sublime/RHCP/Daft Punk/Motley Crue/INXS station on Pandora played just today :p

I like NWA, Public Enemy, and Insane Clown Posse for rap music. Those are my rap favs. I could probably listen to almost any music out there regardless of time period or style. The fallout music of 1 and 2 is cool although I don't know if I like it because of the game or because I like the music, hehe.

Gangster rap (Dayton Family, Young Jeezy, Big Rich) and Pop (Britney Spears, Skye Sweetnam, Ellie Goulding).

Not even trolling: I just enjoy this stuff.

Rap tends to have such clever and amusing wordplay

The only rapper I know of that does this quite well is Rakim. There are a few others I think aren't bad, but aren't that brilliant either.

depends on your definition of clever i suppose :p

E.g., a line from Loyd Banks

"'Cause Banks is cooler than the other side of the pillow"

Or Ace Hood:

"Ace Hood getting head like a ball cap"

Eminem and the other white rappers have a bigger vocab (or they like to use it anyway), and can string cool stuff together, but Gangsta is good too.

I forgot about Lloyd Banks. I don't mind him. IMHO, Eminem with a bigger vocab? Last time I remember, he used a lot of gibberish and nonsense, albeit used to get a comedic effect perhaps?

Lately I've had an urge to drink ciders while listening to my just expanded, but still small collection of a few Scandinavian bands I've been getting into.

As always, Aran and I share scarily similar tastes. Mostly classical and film soundtracks, with some trailer-type music thrown in. Since I don't actually interact with many trailers the songs have no connotations for me. Also some power metal, I think after being inspired by Kel, and a smattering of other things. Mostly indie rock, but I've probably got something from just about every major genre stuffed into iTunes. Not every subgenre though. That's an infinite rabbit hole.

—Alorael, whose compromise playlist with several others while cooped up in a small room for a long time mixed Bach, Lady Gaga, and Neutral Milk Hotel, which he'd never heard of. There was one person who wouldn't volunteer her taste in music but spent the entire time wincing, grimacing, and occasionally covering her ears.

Also some power metal, I think after being inspired by Kel

HAHAHAHA IT IS SPREADING!

Also, I was listening to a lot of Nightwish and Within Temptation, and then I told iTunes to find me similar bands. It gave me Delain, which was founded by a former Within Temptation member and often has Nightwish's male vocalist doing guest vocals. This has made me happy the past couple of weeks.

Can we revive the last.fm group? Can we? Can we? Please?

does the last.fm scrobbler work with the 11.x branch of itunes and my third-gen ipod touch (including over wifi sync), because i stopped using it when that stopped happening.

In other news,

by Machinae Supremacy is my current song of choice. Edited by SYLAELOLOLOLOL
I dont understand why people listen to music on youtube. Here, have shitty compressed audio and windows movie maker on-screen lyrics

I dont understand why people listen to music on youtube. Here, have shitty compressed audio and windows movie maker on-screen lyrics

Probably if they don't listen to it often enough to buy it, and don't listen to enough music in general to subscribe to a streaming service. Also, even compared to piracy* Youtube is easier and less risky.

(*AndThatWouldBeWrong)

I'd consider Youtube music analogously to shareware; it's inferior to the real product, but good enough to gauge whether you want it at all.

As always, Aran and I share scarily similar tastes. Mostly classical and film soundtracks, with some trailer-type music thrown in.

Ditto for that, though a friend got me onto Nightwish and similar stuff as well. These days I mainly just let Classic FM play in the background and pop in a CD whenever the jazz program starts. Oh, and celtic lullabies work a treat at my son's bedtime :)