Harehunter's Haven has a new home

Harehunter

Harehunter's Haven has a new home

www.harehunter.info

My BoE pages include a BoE graphics search engine similar to Brett Bixlers Louvre for BoA graphics.

I also have a Visual Basic version of the BoE scenario editor that has some nice features, most importantly being able to tie a description to a Stuff Done flag and to see that description in the special node editor.

• 1 month later...

If you are doing VB because you can't find a decent IDE for C++, Bloodshed DevC++ is okay but is no longer supported.

Code Blocks is supported but it derails at Gamedlog.rc, for whatever reason. The BoA 3D Editor code, by contrast, compiles properly. Maybe I can rewrite the BoE code to imitate the BoA variety.

If you are doing VB because you can't find a decent IDE for C++, Bloodshed DevC++ is okay but is no longer supported.

Code Blocks is supported but it derails at Gamedlog.rc, for whatever reason. The BoA 3D Editor code, by contrast, compiles properly. Maybe I can rewrite the BoE code to imitate the BoA variety.

you sure about that? I've compiled CBoE fine in Code::Blocks (using MinGW)

Yes, I am sure. It happens with monotonous regularity. I am using the 2007 source code.

No problems with CPP files, headers, BlScened.rc or Strings.rc, only problem is with Gamedlog.rc.

Last file starts thus:

800 DIALOG 10, 10, 517, 233

STYLE WS_POPUP | WS_DLGFRAME

{

DEFPUSHBUTTON "" 1, 182, 238, 31, 10

LTEXT "6_0" 2, 351, 34, 250, 22

LTEXT "6_0" 3, 351, 96, 250, 16

Seems it can't handle the first line and the lines starting with LTEXT.

I haven't been involved in the development process, but I understand that SW's original code is pretty badly out of date and broken on modern systems. You may have more luck with the latest version of the community-developed project (recently moved to Github from Google Code). Before attempting to debug the 2007 code, you should definitely give that a try.

Actually, I wrote it in VB for two reasons, 1) I didn't have access to a C environment at the time, but I did have a VB. 2) I am stronger in basic because of the database engine I was working on at that time.

I have Code::Blocks with MinGW installed on my machine, but I am totally swamped for time; Maybe this next resume will lead to hiring someone to take some of my workload.

I think I know enough C to convert the base logic, but one of the things I am having trouble with is building the forms. It seems simple enough at first, but Code::Blocks is very particular about using the GUI exclusively.

Debugging symbols tend to be very heavy, plus it'll depend a lot on what compiler you are telling Code::Blocks to use. MinGW should give a production binary around 700 KiB (with no optimization). Here's the path settings I use for compiling with Code::Blocks.

Also, Ishad, getting familiar with version control is a must. I'd highly recommend installing git (or svn in you fancy the gcode) on your system and learning the ropes. GitHub has made a very nifty installer and GUI interface for windows. It's actually a pretty good GUI, which surprised me some when I first tried it out.