Geneforge 4 Melee Advice

Originally I was a big gene forge fan and had a lot of fun even though it was frustrating in gene forge 1 with my agent. Now I don't know why, but I happen to like playing gene forge with melee as you have the chance to solo the game. Even though I soloed geneforge 1 as a battlemagic agent, I wanted to make a melee character that can solo with or without magic.

What I was going to ask any who can help is if anyone can give advice on how to solo Geneforge 4 and what class to do it with melee best. Now I know that everyone says you should play gene forge 2 with a guardian, but I want to play gene forge 4 with a guardian as I like the ap system of that game and 5 as well. I got up to the fens of aziraph with that game and always lost interest once shaper monarch was there as I am not very good at managing creations.

What I am asking is this-What would be an idea setup to solo gene forge 4 as a solo warrior. I usually specialize in strength, melee, quick action to 9, endurance to 8 parry to 8, mechanics and leadership to 8 and a little luck as well. I usually have problems when it comes to dealing with groups of enemies.

Since guardians don't have a lot of options for dealing with groups compared to agents, what would anyone recommend for getting through the game with that setup? Should I get blessing magic to 3 and use haste for groups along with regeneration to heal with some health in between or do I have to place points into daze?

My main problems come from dealing with bosses/groups and what not. I always like using melee in most of the game and what not and thus playing a magic only character is not going to happen for me. If anyone can help me with what skills to maximize and to what degree for a melee warrior in G4, I would be very grateful. Also Alorael recommended that I go with a servile or infiltrator solo instead of a warrior. I will do that only if warriors are useless for solo. Thanks.

You want to go Singleton melee you go Servile in G4. You use all the mental magic spells, blessing till elemental cloak and healing till major heal. This is how my last servile ended a few weeks back (on torment). This is with items but it should give you an indication where to go.

0WvDwct.jpg

Now I know that everyone says you should play gene forge 2 with a guardian
Pff, Melee agent is perfectly viable in G2 too and way more fun ;)
I usually have problems when it comes to dealing with groups of enemies.
Be always sped up and use mental magic, don't pull big groups, dunno what else there is, this is super basic, it's not as if the combat systems is that complex.
I will do that only if warriors are useless for solo.
They are.

My main problems come from dealing with bosses/groups and what not. I always like using melee in most of the game and what not and thus playing a magic only character is not going to happen for me. If anyone can help me with what skills to maximize and to what degree for a melee warrior in G4, I would be very grateful. Also Alorael recommended that I go with a servile or infiltrator solo instead of a warrior. I will do that only if warriors are useless for solo. Thanks.

Warriors have shaping as their secondary skill: they're not intended to be a solo class. If you don't intend to use shaping, then playing as a warrior is a waste of skill points compared to playing as a servile, since having some mental magic for crowd control is almost essential for a solo character. It's possible to beat Geneforge 4 with neither magic nor shaping (I've done it, although I used a servile), but if you try it without knowing the game like the back of your hand, your attempt will probably just end in frustration.

If you still insist on a solo melee warrior with minimal magic use, keep every usable item you find and use them for tough fights. Items don't take up your whole turn to use, so you can heal yourself with a pod or do some damage with a crystal or wand and still make a melee attack that round. Terror wands are good for locking down some tough early-game minibosses. Do quests for both the shapers and the rebels for maximum experience and treasure.

The thread I linked to has some screenshots to give you an idea of what your stats and skills should look like at different points in the game. One specific piece of advice: if possible, don't put ANY points into combat skills until you reach the trainer who can raise them in exchange for cash, since you'll miss out on the opportunity to do that if you've already raised them yourself. Just skate by on raw Strength and Endurance until then. It'll make the first half of the game a bit harder, but every skill point counts.

Lilith, so it seems that if I am to make this work, I should be focused on a heavy amount of endurance and strength-especially endurance to survive damage. It doesnt look like dodging damage is going to work as it follows the Avernum way. Im gonna get my strength, endurance high from get go and use mechanics and leadership till up to 8. To make things better for surviving damage, did you use regeneration from healing craft tree to get back much needed health or is it not worth the time?

Lilith, so it seems that if I am to make this work, I should be focused on a heavy amount of endurance and strength-especially endurance to survive damage. It doesnt look like dodging damage is going to work as it follows the Avernum way. Im gonna get my strength, endurance high from get go and use mechanics and leadership till up to 8. To make things better for surviving damage, did you use regeneration from healing craft tree to get back much needed health or is it not worth the time?

In my case, I was doing a zero-magic, zero-creation run, so I didn't use any healing magic at all. But if you're willing to use a little Healing Craft, regeneration is great for healing up in between battles, and can help a bit with keeping you alive during battle too.