Avadon 2 Announced.

Spidweb

Then I expect it to be included as well. Jeff's engines are similar enough that he's probably copying upgrades back and forth.

—Alorael, who also can't imagine getting the brownie points for accessibility and then taking it away. That's bad PR. Jeff's usually more astute than that.

I want to play this on the new iPad mini 2 (or whatever they will call it) that I intend to buy. This will mean refraining from the Mac version, which will come out first before the iPad version. Will I explode? I can't rule it out!

Jeff is aiming for a simultaneous release - no waiting, and no exploding!

Why? I'm expecting beta in parallel, maybe even finally using code that doesn't require so much porting. If he's going to release "simultaneously," I think he's going to actually have the versions available at the same time. Or at least plan on it.

—Alorael, who could see a last-minute game-stopping bug in one OS holding up that version only. It's not the plan, though, from the way Jeff has described it in very few words.

Why? I'm expecting beta in parallel, maybe even finally using code that doesn't require so much porting. If he's going to release "simultaneously," I think he's going to actually have the versions available at the same time.

One big problem is the difference between the two mouse versions and the iPad version. For example, all instructions have to be changed from "right click..." to "touch your finger...", etc . And, the sun icon that allows you to use an inventory item in the Mac and PC versions actually has no iPad equivalent. Touching an item on the iPad pulls up a mini-menu allowing you to manipulate said item.

Fly-specking the iPad version just to remove the mouse references is a big job. And, there were definitely some platform specific bugs found during the beta for Avernum:EftP. Those realities make me wonder how simultaneous the iPad beta can be with the other two. The waiting is just killing me.....

One big problem is the difference between the two mouse versions and the iPad version. For example, all instructions have to be changed from "right click..." to "touch your finger...", etc . And, the sun icon that allows you to use an inventory item in the Mac and PC versions actually has no iPad equivalent. Touching an item on the iPad pulls up a mini-menu allowing you to manipulate said item.

Fly-specking the iPad version just to remove the mouse references is a big job. And, there were definitely some platform specific bugs found during the beta for Avernum:EftP. Those realities make me wonder how simultaneous the iPad beta can be with the other two. The waiting is just killing me.....

I think a lot of those issues were already ironed out in Avadon 1 and A:EFTP. I'm sure he will be reusing a lot of the instructions, so things like "right-click" will have already been changed.

That said, it would not surprise me if the Mac and Windows versions came out simultaneously, and the iPad version came out a couple (or a few) weeks later. This could still easily satisfy the "Fall 2013" target date he listed for all three.

I just got finished playing Avadon HD on my iPad, and for me it was really the best game that the iPad has to offer. I played Exile years and years ago, and then forgot all about this company, so it was great to see that you're still going strong! I'm definitely going to buy the other games in the App Store. The only thing I can say that I was disappointed with, and which I really hope is addressed in the next game, is the effects of your decisions. In Avadon HD it just seemed that you were offered an illusion of choice that in the end didn't impact anything.

I can't wait to see what happens next though, in spite of this. Hurry up, Spiderweb Software!

I just got finished playing Avadon HD on my iPad, and for me it was really the best game that the iPad has to offer. ...

I can't wait to see what happens next though, in spite of this. Hurry up, Spiderweb Software!

IMHO there are a few more games you might want to try on the iPad. Namely, Avernum:EftP and Avernum 6 from SpiderWeb. These suggestions ought to keep you busy for quite a while - they are all wonderful RPGs.

IMHO there are a few more games you might want to try on the iPad. Namely, Avernum:EftP and Avernum 6 from SpiderWeb. These suggestions ought to keep you busy for quite a while - they are all wonderful RPGs.

Sorry I probably wasn't making myself clear before! When I said "I'm definitely going to buy the other games in the App Store", I meant the other Spiderweb Software games! I've started playing Avernum: Escape from the Pit first, just because it had the same subtitle as Exile. I'm really enjoying this one a lot even if I haven't got very far yet. Are there plans to make Exile 2 and 3 into the new engine? How about the old Avernum games, because I've never played Avernum 4-6? At the very least it'd be neat if there were iPad versions made available.

Avernum 1 to 3 are remakes of Exile 1 to 3 with added content, smaller parties, different spells, and a different game engine. Avernum 2: Crystal Souls will probably come out in 2014 as a remake of Avernum 2. The other Avernum games will eventually get remade.

No word on whether older games will get ported to the iPad. It is easier to make new games than to fix older ones.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Wait, you are buying Spiderweb games, it is already too late. :)

Sorry I probably wasn't making myself clear before! When I said "I'm definitely going to buy the other games in the App Store", I meant the other Spiderweb Software games! I've started playing Avernum: Escape from the Pit first, just because it had the same subtitle as Exile. I'm really enjoying this one a lot even if I haven't got very far yet. Are there plans to make Exile 2 and 3 into the new engine? How about the old Avernum games, because I've never played Avernum 4-6? At the very least it'd be neat if there were iPad versions made available.

Jeff has already announced that Avernum: Crystal Souls (A2) is going to follow Avadon 2. And, it's pretty hard to imagine that Avernum 3 isn't also in line. That leaves Avernum 4-6, and A6 is already out for the iPad. It would seem that he might eventually put the entire Avernum universe out for the iPad community.

Jeff has already announced that Avernum: Crystal Souls (A2) is going to follow Avadon 2. And, it's pretty hard to imagine that Avernum 3 isn't also in line. That leaves Avernum 4-6, and A6 is already out for the iPad. It would seem that he might eventually put the entire Avernum universe out for the iPad community.

and A4 and A5 prolly require recoding so those can be played via ipad.

yea but A6 has better graphics than A5 and A5 has better graphs than A4.

Sort of. Each sequel tends to be better polished and have a slightly fancier UI than the stuff that came before it. For the most part though, the actual graphics of the game are more or less the same each time - Jeff will usually add a couple of new graphics, but until recently he was still using graphics from Exile!

sure he could port but that requires time which he hasn't since Avadon 2 is coming and when its finished it is almost time to start making Avernum 2 CS, A5 and A4 don't add anything necessary to Avernum-saga except final defeat of that mad Vahnatai (A4) and introduction of Darkside Loyalists and current leader of empire (A5).

sure he could port but that requires time which he hasn't since Avadon 2 is coming and when its finished it is almost time to start making Avernum 2 CS, A5 and A4 don't add anything necessary to Avernum-saga except final defeat of that mad Vahnatai (A4) and introduction of Darkside Loyalists and current leader of empire (A5).

Well, Rentar-Ihrno is in the series from Exile 2, so her finally being defeated (thanks for the spoiler by the way!) would surely be a big deal! Also the Darkside Loyalists seem to be a big faction from what I see in the threads I read. I'm not sure Spiderweb, nor many people on these boards, would agree that two of the Exile/Avernum games (so 1/3 of the saga) is essentially pointless!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all !

Avadon (tbf) and Avernum Eftp are on Android. Why do you think Avadon 2 will not be ported ?

Androids need games like that... What will I play at night while unable to find sleep ? Please save me from the sadness of the android play store and all those free to play games ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was suggested that there will be no Linux port of this. :( I most certainly would buy a Linux version, as I am enjoying Avadon TBF very much!

Out of curiosity: would it really be that hard to get this to Linux? After all Avadon TBF is ported and I guess the core engine is the same, no?

Please leave your sanity at the door. As a Linux user do you have any? :)

close enough

Ha ha. :) I take it you are running FreeBSD. Or maybe OpenVMS? :)

To answer your question: yes, I do have some sanity left, and in fact using Linux contributes to that. You know, it depends very much what you do. ;) (Oh, I also have a Windows 7 installed as a game loader, it's very good at that!)

More on topic: I got rid of the Windows partition on my netbook and games like Avadon TBF that are fun to play but not too resource hungry are just perfect for it. And since this was advertised as 'the first chapter in a new, epic fantasy saga', I was looking forward to follow it over time.

In fact, if I had access to the source code I might just work towards a Linux port myself. Of course, if the engine would be open source many more hands could contribute to that.

• 3 months later...