Geneforge 4: late entry into shaping? Oh, and hi everyone.

Mewness

I've been lurking on these forums for quite ... some ... time and have finally emerged to ask a few things. I'm playing a melee/daze servile in Geneforge 4. I've scouted out Monarch's place but not yet killed him, and I recently went back to the barrier zone to kill Eliza and Shaftoe. I'm moderately pro-rebel (I've gotten Darnor's first reward but not his second, and Khur has offered to join me) but I have access to the Shaper camp in the fens as well.

I've also been solo since Greenfang left (sob!) and I'd kind of like to have somebody else around, but I'm now level 31 and have only starting values in shaping skills. Is it possible for me to create anything that will be vaguely useful and not die instantly? Any items/canisters/training that would help? (I've got plenty of money saved up, and haven't used many canisters, although I would prefer not to go crazy.) Or should I just stay solo? There seemed to be a major increase in difficulty once I got to the fens but it's eased up a bit with the nice equipment I've been getting lately. I would still like a bit of company, though, and poor old Khur is only level 10.

Also, I'm trying to decide what enhancement to put on the guardian claymore that I, um, liberated from Shaftoe. Is the slowing effect from a runed onyx worthwhile?

Thanks and greetings,

Mewness

Yeah, I think that's pretty much good advice. I expect that creations are likely to be more trouble than they're worth at this point, though it depends just how much you'd have to sacrifice of other things to get up to a Wingbolt. I forget just how hard that would be for a G4 servile, so I don't really know if a Wingbolt would be worth what it cost, but it would at least be worth the trouble of keeping it around once you got it. Nothing else really is, though.

My memory of runed onyx slowing is that it was very disappointing. It hardly ever seemed to take effect. The Guardian's Claymore is a weapon that you might well keep for the rest of the game, so it may be worth holding out for a golden crystal.

The best enchantment on a weapon is i think, the acidic infusion: http://geneforge.wikia.com/wiki/Runed_Amethyst Guardian claymore to the end with it. And Servile?, no way on shaping. Your chances are to develop well his spell and combat habilities, as it´s intended for it´s niche. Utterly necesary for any piece of armor, or ring are steel spine, wich is like a mini spine shield, another uber powerful spell, develop them and never doubt using them, besides all the others at servile´s reach, regeneration, augmentation, essence armor, stone skin, speed and other healing spells are essential for a hand to hand combatant. A lot of endurance is needed too.

Using more than one steel spine seemed not to stack on damage.

Having at least one Wingbolt or Gazer is useful for any class, because their high energy resistance allows them to tank attacks that would seriously trouble your main character (such as from enemy Gazers, which are difficult to lock down with mental magic). The Gazer is quite a bit more expensive than the Wingbolt and isn't available until later in the game, but has decent resistance to other elements too. It depends on how much you've invested in Intelligence: make what you have the essence to afford.

Well, I found a canister of Create Drayk in the wrecked labs, so I made one with my volcanic fetish on. Level 27, not too bad, and I still seem to be free of the crazy. The drayk's damage isn't great, but it was sort of useful against the random creations in the Monarch fight and it managed to survive. Schmutzli the Servile is lonely no more!

And I think I left my sanity behind quite a while ago. It was kind of a hindrance on the intrawebs anyway.