Are the new creation types the only reason to upgrade shaping skill?

(This question is about the series in general, from G2 to G5)

Ever since Geneforge 2 implemented the increasing cost for improving stats (which I like a lot) and halved the stats per level of creations (which I don't like so much), I've generally assumed that even if you're playing as a shaper who doesn't keep creations alive for long and constantly remakes them, the extra levels awarded by higher shaping skill make almost no difference to their performance. Am I right about this? Is there really no reason to go above the requirement for the best creations? Should I wait until I have access to the higher level creations before improving my shaping skills to meet the new requirements?

Yes, that's true in general(at least for G4 and G5), even for the shaping devoted characters putting the extra skill points in intelligence is better than putting them in shaping skills, In general I will suggest that the best strategy probably is to major in one shaping art and only get the bare requirements for others, that gives you a decent early game boost.

Increasing a Shaping skill increases the damage output of up to 8 creations at once. How is that not a good investment?

up to 7 actually, you are right about the damage output, however more intelligence allows you to make more/better creatures who will automatically have a better damage output, in essence the investment in other skills more than makes up for this damage reduction.