Escape from the pit running slow

Zorni

I am a bit lost here, maybe someone can help me out.

The game runs occasionally very slow. While sometimes I have 26 or above 30 fps, without real reason it will go down to the low tens. This will happen even in the overland view, for example next to the cristall cavern. Around Fort Avernum, its fine.

I have tried all kinds of settings, (high to low graphics, resolutions, windowed mode, direct X mode) - nothing did change much. For example, with full graphics, i have 16 fps next to the gate to the Formello region, wich will drop to 11 if I move south. With lowest graphics, I have 18 fps next to the gate, down to 10 if I move south.

I have the following system:

Pentium Dual Core T 4200 2Ghz

4 GB RAM

Mobile Intel® 4 Series graphic chipset

I am aware that the graphic chip is not very hot when it comes to games, but it should be enough to run Avernum in lowest graphic mode, I guess? Especially since this machine can run other games like Sacred 2 (which has fancier graphics) just fine.

As far as I can tell there are no other notable programs running in the background.

Can anybody tell me whats going on?

Jeff tends to use some rather processor-expensive and wasteful methods. These tend to show up in the strangest ways and the strangest things fix them. I'd recommend browsing this board and looking at the "x is running slow" threads (especially where x is a more recent game) and seeing if there's any gold in there.

While WinVista probably doesn't help much, I don't expect it to be the culprit if all the slowdowns are triggered by in-game, non-filesystem activity.

Jeff tends to use some rather processor-expensive and wasteful methods.
She's joking; don't stop buying Jeff's games. We want that Geneforge remake still.
Uhhh, she's not joking…

It's more likely a problem with the graphics card/chip set. Some of them don't work well with Jeff's newer games. Tyranicus has pointed out a few that don't work.
I have?