Avernum 4, what level should I be?

Krovlar

I have two questions. The first is: what approximate level should I be in the Tower of Magi area of Avernum 4? Currently I am level 17/18 and every fight is a tossup whether I am going to get destroyed quickly or manage to push through. I just came from the Cotra area where I was fighting the bug guys and even there I felt kind of underpowered. I felt like every fight could quickly turn against me, and they often did.

This leads me into my next question: Is there a resurrection spell? Almost every fight at least one of my guys dies, which means a long walk back to the nearest town, especially if I am in the bug people tunnels and such. It means that for every five minutes of questing I do I spend about 15 traveling to and from town just to res one person. Anyway, if there is a spell that is awesome, how do I get it? If not, any tips for making the trip shorter? Maybe I should be questing elsewhere for my level? Maybe my stats are just borked, not sure.

Thanks for the help in advance.

There is a resurrection spell, but I think Dharmon in the Great Cave is the earliest you can get it.

You are about the right level for this area, but it isn't that easy especially above normal difficulty. I think I spent a lot of time clearing the Honeycomb to raise my level. I did spend hours just walking back to town to recharge spell energy. It's mostly slowly clearing an area and then retreat along the cleared path.

I found this game a pain just getting through certain obstacles to get to a new area.

I just finished the game on the 2nd hardest difficulty and my experience has been as brutal as yours. There are a select few easy battles, but I never know when enemies would just randomly swarm me and kill off my spell casters before I have time to react. Every battle felt like a tossup, and the result of the battle hinges on how carefully I chose to proceed. If I just explore carelessly, I might walk into a swarm of enemies and get my party killed

I had to save after almost every battle. Sometimes I'd lose the same battle over and over so I would just pre-haste my party. This was just for some regular battles

Dharmon has lots of awesome spells for Priests, but holy wow it is expensive. I'd say it costs an arm and a leg, but I don't think arms and legs sell for that much in Avernum. For Mage, you might already have it, but Lightning Spray is my favourite. You probably already have Haste. That is the most awesome spell ever

• 3 weeks later...