Nethergate Newb

Finished AEFTP, and loved it. I haven't really been able to get into Avandon. I started playing N:R and am enjoying it, but the game could really use a port to a newer engine... Or better yet, a sequel / prequel in the same general setting. It's really nice to play a game set in such a unique setting.

Nethergate has sadly never sold well enough for Jeff to put much faith in it, or so the rumors go.

—Alorael, who could see any number of sequels working, but they could all be just various flavors of historical fantasy. The actual story of Nethergate is set in a very specific, special, and limited time in its fictional world history, however, and making direct prequels or sequels would be very difficult.

Avernum 3 is being remade into the new engine because the original game doesn't work with OSX Lion (or computers running newer versions of OSX), not because it looks dated (though, of course, that's probably something to do with it). The "quite a long time" that was quoted might mean after Jeff has finished remaking the original three Avernum games, but I can't see him touching Nethergate again until it just flat-out doesn't work any more; N:R is only 5 years old, after all.