The Geneforge Wiki  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Quality of the Wiki

• Amazing, well detailed
    • Well Detailed
    • I'm not blown away, but it will work
    • This could use some tweaking
    • I've never seen less effort put into the Wiki
    • OMFG! THIS WIKI NEEDS THE HELP OF JESUS HIMSELF!
  2. 2. Quantity of the Wiki

• This wiki covers everything about Geneforge
    • This wiki has much of the key info about Geneforge
    • This wiki has sufficient info about Geneforge
    • This wiki is lacking some key info about Geneforge
    • This wiki is lacking most key info about Geneforge
    • OMG! THERE IS NO INFORMATION ABOUT GENEFORGE WHATSOEVER

Fellow Geneforgers:

There is much needed to help the dying Geneforge Wiki. There are about 175 pages in this wiki. How can we get hundreds of threads started and only have 175 (low-quality) pages on the Wiki of 5 games? I think, as a good Geneforge Player, I will help edit the wiki. I will give all the knowledge that I can offer. I would like others to follow suit. Please discuss this proposal and possible execution of the cleanup and expansion of the Geneforge Wiki.

P.S. There are many innaccuracies in the wiki. Please help me clean them up.

Also, a poll to rate the quality of the Geneforge Wiki.

OMGWTFBBQ! I already wrote two pages on magic in Geneforge 5, Screwed around with about 50 thousand links, edited the Alwan page, created the Control Tool page, it seems like I'm the only one doing things. And I'm only doing them on like, a week to monthly basis. There are like, thousands of people on here who have bought the game. We can make this Wiki the best evah.

Fellow Geneforgers:

There is much needed to help the dying Geneforge Wiki. There are about 175 pages in this wiki. How can we get hundreds of threads started and only have 175 (low-quality) pages on the Wiki of 5 games? I think, as a good Geneforge Player, I will help edit the wiki. I will give all the knowledge that I can offer. I would like others to follow suit. Please discuss this proposal and possible execution of the cleanup and expansion of the Geneforge Wiki.

P.S. There are many innaccuracies in the wiki. Please help me clean them up.

Also, a poll to rate the quality of the Geneforge Wiki.

I've seen this wiki already, before even Nikki posted it. I know, it's kinda crap, it's like a person, distant from this community, living in solitude and unsurprisingly addicted to Geneforge, made his own wiki, then ended up having too much work, abandoned it instead.

-----------------------

-Guido Fawkes

The problem, I think, with a Geneforge wiki is that there's no central motivation. Unlike the Encyclopedia Ermariana, which itself is rather emaciated in later years from lack of attention, there's no community centered around the Geneforge universe. There were Blades of Exile, and to a lesser extent Blades of Avernum, communities who actively developed the Exile/Avernum universe, and thus needed a reference to see what already existed. With Geneforge, there is no such need, save for a few people doing fanfics. And a few people do not a wiki make.

Why do you want a Geneforge wiki? That's basically what I'm trying to get at.

I want a quick reference that anyone can access without using the forums, without other hassles. I'm not asking to move mountains. I'd just like a little cleanup. Fix inaccuracies, expand upon topics.

Let me give you a situation. You're a big fan of Geneforge. Absolutely terrible and don't know much about the game. Also, you're completely unaware of the Spidweb Forums. By going on the wiki, at this point in time, would be terrible. An insult to Jeff Vogel and Spiderweb Software. We need to fix this.

On the other hand, the wiki only seems to be offering in-game knowledge, which a player could get by actually playing the games. At that point, I'd wonder why they didn't just play the game.

If you're trying to upload strategies, walkthroughs and builds, then I guess that's different, but those things are all here anyway, and these boards are only a google search away.

On the other hand, the wiki only seems to be offering in-game knowledge, which a player could get by actually playing the games. At that point, I'd wonder why they didn't just play the game.

It would be nice to have all of that in-game knowledge centralized at a single location, and wiki seems as good a format as any. I tend to forget some of that in-game knowledge between games (or even within a single playthrough).

Wait, what was I just saying? Oh well, couldn't have been that important. :)

Nikki, people, naturally, as intelligent beings wish to share their intellect and insights with others.

But for the forums where you say is a Google search away, would be more than that. If the person looked through the whole forum and couldn't find it, they would create an account and post the question, obviously wasting a great amount of time. But wait, there's more. Then it takes time for the question to be accurately answered.

Nikki, I'm not trying to troll on you, but a wiki is completely necessary.

I mean, go ahead and make a wiki, I certainly couldn't, and wouldn't want to, stop you. My point was that if you WERE going to include mechanics and strategies and walkthroughs and the like, then heck, that's a reason to proceed and you'd have some goal to work towards. I guess having the lore of the games stored in a centralised location is a goal too, but it's arguably less important since, as Goldenking said, there's no need for a reference site.

If you're serious then you need to have a sit down and consider what you realistically want from the wiki, and what its use is going to be. There;s a lot of work to do, and if you don't have a clear plan then you're going to be left with something that, well, what you currently have!

And, to be clear, I'm not "trying to discourage" anybody. I was just voicing an opinion. Feel free to prove me wrong and make something awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...