Running into a real live Spiderwebber!

A less presumptuous name.

Identity is such a weird thing, and changing it can be really threatening to people who use your udentity to help define their own. Just changing one's weight can be enough to cause other people wobblies!

Anyway, you go, girl. *respect*

PS Wish I had been there to wish you well at the time.

This may turn out to be the killer app for the internet: letting people practice at changing their own identities. It's rather easy to practice being a different person when you're anonymous, and you only have to perform for a limited time and at your own option, and the channel is narrow. The example of identity change that has gotten attention is people becoming total jerks online, because they are anonymous. But it works the other way, too, I have discovered. My daughter has reported that kids who behave quite obnoxiously in school, where there are all kinds of social pressures, can become astonishingly calm and decent in online chats — at least when they are not anonymous.

Maybe the internet can make us better people, by letting us pretend to be better people, until we get used to it. Egad.

My daughter has reported that kids who behave quite obnoxiously in school, where there are all kinds of social pressures, can become astonishingly calm and decent in online chats — at least when they are not anonymous.

That's actually quite normal, once you develop an I'm a "stupid tough Jerk" aura around you it can be pretty hard to shake it even if you want to, Internet gives such people a chance to do that.

Ha, that's a name that I haven't thought about in a long time. Yes, the internet is a font of people messing with people, but also people being surprisingly nice. And quite often lonely, isolated, people reaches out across the world to find friendly, understanding... well, not faces, often, but minds.

—Alorael, who knows he acts differently in person and on the internet. That's not surprising and probably true of everyone, but it does make him wonder about what he's really like, deep down inside. Not in an angsty "what if I'm evil?" way, but more in an "isn't it strange that I have two different innate behavior sets?" way. Then he noticed that he's unconsciously different in all kinds of settings. Humans are social chameleons.

I swore I'd never come back. CURSES.
Welcome back! :grin: I think I remember you from before, but my memory is, as usual, fuzzy.

As for your return, it was inevitable. All roads leading out of Spiderweb ultimately send you in a circle leading back here, so anyone who leaves is bound to come back. They all come back.... ;)

If you're going to summon old members, you might as well go all the way:

BLADES COMMUNITY ERA (1998-2000)

(ERA 1) OLD BOE GUARD

Brett Bixler, Tarl Roger Kudrick

(ERA 1) THE ARENA

Akhronath, Aceron, Drakey, Thurilith, Alec, Zaloopa, Pokeytax

(ERA 1) NOUVELLE VAGUE OF BOE

Alcritas

(ERA 1) OTHER MAJOR PERSONALITIES

Somewhere in this era but not 100% sure where:

Stareye, Drizzt, TM, Ben Frank, Measle, Luz?, Rosycat?, Skyle?, TGM?, VCH?

OLD SW ERA (2001-2003)

(ERA 2) REMAINING BOE-FOCUSED FOLK (PRESENCE MOSTLY ON LYCEUM)

Stareye, Creator (Both), Shyguy, Measle, Alcritas, Kattana?, E-Master?

(ERA 2) OUTSPOKEN DESPERS

TM, Alec, Djur, Scorpius

(ERA 2) ESTABLISHMENT-FRIENDLY DESPERS

Drakey, Khoth, Thurilith, Saunders, Imban, Sullust?

(ERA 2) POLARIS

ADoS, Logalot, Alorael, Arancaytar, SMoE, Lady J?

(ERA 2) ESTABLISHMENTARIANS

Stareye, Zeviz, Schrodinger

(ERA 2) ACTIVE MEMBERS-AT-LARGE

ADoS, Robinator, Archmage Alex, Rosycat?, Icshi, TGM?, Dahak?, Nikki, Sir David, Wise Man, Morgan?, Omlette, JtD?, ef, Zephyr Tempest

MIDDLE SW ERA (2004-2006)

(ERA 3) OUTSPOKEN DESPERS

TM, Alec, Djur, Scorpius

(ERA 3) ESTABLISHMENT-FRIENDLY DESPERS

Drakey, Khoth, Thurilith, Saunders, Imban

(ERA 3) POLARIS

Alorael, Arancaytar, ADoS, Logalot?, SMoE?

(ERA 3) ESTABLISHMENTARIANS

Stareye, Kelandon

(ERA 3) RICHARD WHITE CULT

Icshi, Alorael, Archmage Alex, Dikiyoba, Student of Trinity, Spring

(ERA 3) TRANSITIONAL DESIGN COMMUNITY

Kelandon, Jewels, BainIhrno

(ERA 3) PROTO-SHADOW VALE CROWD

Tyranicus, Marlenny, Dareva, Slarty, Kelandon, Ephesos, Salmon, Jewels, Synergy, Nikki, Nicothodes, Dintiradan, Grimm/Assassin

(ERA 3) ACTIVE MEMBERS-AT-LARGE

Ash Lael?, WKS, Goldenking, Student of Trinity, Ben, Sir David, Wise Man, Thralni, Omlette, Dolphin, Niemand, ef, Zephyr Tempest, MagmaDragoon

NEW SW ERA (2007-Present)

(ERA 4) ESTABLISHMENTARIANS

Stareye, Kelandon, Slarty, Randomizer, Thurilith, Arancaytar, DV, Synergy

(ERA 4) SHADOW VALE / BOA

Tyranicus, Marlenny, Ephesos, Salmon, Nikki, Nicothodes, Dintiradan, Smoo, Grimm/Assassin, Thralni, CM?, Niemand

(ERA 4) CRF / ANTI-ESTABLISHMENT

Salmon, Jewels, ETSD, Nalyd, Sylae, Nioca, Bloodmoon, Iffy, Xelgion, Excalibur, Ackrovan

(ERA 4) NORTHERN ISLES

Stareye, Alorael, Ash Lael, Bloodmoon, Dikiyoba, Excalibur, Marlenny, Ackrovan, Sarachim, Thuryl, Xelgion, Sporefrog, RCCCL, Wz As, Nioca

(ERA 4) AIMHACK

Ephesos, Nioca, Thurilith, Sylae

(ERA 4) ACTIVE MEMBERS-AT-LARGE

ADoS?, The Mystic, Earth Empires, Master1, Trenton

NO ERAS FOR NOW

(ERA X) QUIET LONG PRESENCES

Andraste, Drew, Rowen, Enraged Slith, Actaeon, VCH, Micawber, Sullust, Khoth, Sarachim

(ERA X) PUBLIC NUISANCES

Solberg, Shotts, Vince, Tails, Public Enemy, Ed, Arghhhhhhhhh, Abhishek

(ERA X) FAQSERS/MINMAXERS

Schrodinger, Slarty, Randomizer, DV

(ERA X) BLADES ARTISTS

Luz, TGM, Dahak

Also, Dantius. What do I do with you, Dantius? You know what I mean.

Irrelevant side note to Slarty's quoted community chart above: Pretty certain I was active in Shadow Vale since early 2007 when Polaris imploded.

Yeah. Also, Smoo only ever posted scenario reviews and announcements, and Nico didn't join SV until not long before it was closed. I talked to Slarty about that, and he said the group was not based entirely on who was active on SV but on social cliques and whether or not someone fit better in another group.

• 6 months later...