They Changed It Now It Sucks

keira

(Not really, I like this a lot more than UBB, I just had to continue the naming tradition from CalRef's switch to phpBB)

So, um, I've noticed a few things are missing from the new forum software that I have, personally, come to love and adore. I have already whined about them, but I figure a unified place for everyone to whine might be constructive. I also want to try out the new post createy thing (the poll manager looks glorious, bee tee dubs). So here goes:

• the spoiler tag is no longer implimented.
  • Edit reason is gone, right now there is only edit time. This really jitters my critters, since edit reason is my gimmick :p
  • Posts using advanced BBcode (any BBcode?) were converted to HTML in the transition, although they display fine, it seems any attempt to edit or quote these posts causes the UBB-ified HTML to rear it's gnarly head.

That's all I've got right now, I am really digging the new board features, though. The blog thing will be great for RPs, and Profiles are so much better now. Tags are great too, if everyone uses them right it'll make looking for stuff a lot easier.

Edited by Khoth
Maybe you don't know why you edit your posts, but I do

It's a bit annoying to be taunted with options like Gallery and Calendar that only lead to error messages.

I tried to buy a Widget for $10 but when I tried to check out my cart it just told me that there were no payment options available. No joke. Check out the Store.

There are still TWO 'BLOG THIS' BUTTONS. I have blogged about them. Both of them, separately. Now it's old. There can be only one.

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

It would appear that GREG has returned karma to those of us brave enough to have accrued it before the last shift to UBB.threads! Huzzah!

Already called it, my friend, and suffered a hit to my 5-star rating as a result. You know the rules; you must endure a similar downvoting. :p

If anyone has requests for things that they miss from the UBB or would like to see changed, this is the place to say it.

—Alorael, who has given everyone blanket permission to change names as desired. Fear not! And he sees that Tyran has turned off custom titles for the masses. What else?

If anyone has requests for things that they miss from the UBB or would like to see changed, this is the place to say it.

In the old forum, when I clicked on thread that I'd read before but to which new posts had been made, I would go automatically down to the first of the new posts. Now, when I click on such a thread, I just start out at the top of the thread, and I must scroll to find where the new posts are. Is that a setting I can fix somewhere, or just functionality lost?

In the old forum, when I clicked on thread that I'd read before but to which new posts had been made, I would go automatically down to the first of the new posts. Now, when I click on such a thread, I just start out at the top of the thread, and I must scroll to find where the new posts are. Is that a setting I can fix somewhere, or just functionality lost?

If you click the blue circle to left of the thread title, it will take you to the first unread post.

I've deactivated images in signatures and set a 20 line limit. That's way larger than is reasonably necessary, but I didn't want to ruin anyone's day.

—Alorael, who is still finding things weird. UBB put settings in funny places. IPB puts things in different funny places. Bah.

The "Overall Top Posters" is really the same thing as the old "Top Ten Posters" thingy over on the side on the side on the old forum. I wouldn't think that should be a problem, at least no more than it ever did. Having a "Today's Top Posters" feature might have more potential to motivate spam, I guess. Will such a little thing really incite the masses to riotous outbursts of spam?

It's not so obvious, it's not so very terribly broken, and it's not so easy to figure out where it's coming from and remove it. The various things above, below, and to the sides of the forum are much less accessible and intuitive here than they were on the UBB.

—Alorael, who somehow thinks spamming on a daily basis for the highest stats in a little tucked-away bit of boards most people aren't likely to check all that often is a risk that can be safely run.

I have successfully created a link fixer for converting the old UBB URLs to new IPB ones. Here's how it works:

1) Take a URL from the old UBB, let's say it looks like this: http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/281981/Nethergate_Resurrection_on_Ste#Post281981

2) Stick "http://sw.calref.net/" in front of it. It now becomes http://sw.calref.net/http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/281981/Nethergate_Resurrection_on_Ste#Post281981

3) ...

4) Profit?

This link fixer will automatically redirect the user to the right URL. This was achieved by comparing the info from the old database to the new one and joining them based on the post timestamp. This should be enough to provide a 1:1 match, however, if there are any issues (you ever see a URL redirecting to the wrong place, the link fixer vomits an error, etc) please tell me so I can look into it.

Aha, aha! Interesting. I have no idea what my old number was (though I daresay it must have been rather high), so I can't make much of any difference, but I was curious.

Of course, ever since some benevolent moderator bestowed upon me a super spiffy custom title, I have no reason to worry about less significant marks of distinction like member number. B)

<delurk>

Avatars now must either be uploaded or be linked to your Gravatar (which also uploads and caches images, even when you provide a link). This means I have to manually change my avatar for this forum, instead of just changing the symlink on my website.

I am disappoint.

Also, I'm glad I saved all my PMs a while back, because I'm pretty sure some of the early ones are missing now.

</delurk>

EDIT: Also, is there no way to hide from "Who's Online" and "Who's Reading This Topic"?

EDIT: Hmmm:

Don't

I come bearing somber news, SW. I have failed you in your time of need.

I have discovered a painful error in the SW link fixer which had the potential to spoil several afternoons.

I have temporarily belayed this issue into a less annoying version of itself. The issue lies in the fact that I made a major assumption with regards to the relationship of old posts to new ones.

Basically, I assumed that, while the IDs of the UBB and IPB posts changed, the timestamps would remain the same. Therefore, if post ubb.1 had timestamp x, then the ipb post with timestamp x must match it. Sounds logical, right?

Unfortunately, it turns out that there are 71,473 cases in which different posts have the same timestamp. For most of these, it's a toss-up between two posts. However, for a select few there can be up to six options to choose from. This means we must use something else in addition to timestamps to compare posts.

For now, I have amended the autolink system to provide an intermediary page allowing the user to select the potential links and see which one is correct. You can see an example of this here. On the bright side, this means that the link redirector will still work. Over the weekend I will be working on a method to solve these issues, most likely by comparing the authorships or subject lines of posts.

tl;dr: I screwed up, the link director still works but gives multiple options, working on a permanant fix.

Hey! I complained about the same thing. The trick is easy: click on the blue dot or star immediately to the left of thread title, and it'll take you right to the newest post.

There is also an option at the top-right of the topic view to "jump to first unread post", in case you accidentally miss the dot.

(ps, star means you've posted in the topic)

Edited by Sylae
accidentally double-posted. i such a silly spammer