Hi guys. I'm relatively new to modding scripts (like I just got addicted today) and I admit, I suck at it. So... to make my life easier, I need a program that makes modding the scripts easier. I tried Notepad for G4 and G5 saved games. I tried messing with the journal, putting random crap in the entries, but the game crashed (I did back up my files so that's good). Altogether, I completely failed to do anything. So, what program do you guys use to mod the scripts? I have considered using DosBox, but I don't know if it can mod Geneforge (and Geneforge's seemingly encrypted game code).

DOSBox is an emulator. You really need a text editor. One that can parse code and help you out a bit would be nice, and I think there may be some tools that you could repurpose from Blades of Avernum, but Notepad is the standard tool.

—Alorael, who doesn't know of anything that can turn bad code into good. Making good code is up to you.

I misunderstood your first post. Editing saves and editing scripts are very different. Doing the former isn't easy, and what you are most likely to want is one of the editors that someone has made to use the game scripts to modify your character. The links are found in the G4 and G5 Strategy Central threads in their forum headers.

For script editing you're changing how the game works, not your character. The files to alter are in the folder called Scripts in the Geneforge X Files in the main game folder.

—Alorael, who thinks the easiest summary of an emulator is a program that pretends to run a different operating system and hardware than you're running the emulator on. DOSBox emulates DOS on Windows or Mac. Other emulators can let Macs run Windows, Windows run Mac, or either OS run a wide variety of game consoles. Those are the popular emulators, at any rate.

Originally Posted By: Babster
I think the data is encrypted though. For the files "data", "items", and "header", they all seem to be in a code, much unlike a simple function.

It shouldn't be encrypted, but it is in a code of Jeff's own creation. If you want to understand it and aren't having much luck on your own, I recommend downloading the BoA editor and looking through its manuals, since BoA and Geneforge use very similar code. (The link also has some suggestions for text editors.)

Quote:
P.S. What the heck's an emulator??? laugh

Google has the answer.

Dikiyoba.