Avernum 6 for iPad has been released

Hume

• 3 weeks later...

Really?, because this means that A6 isn't really smaller than Avadon, it's just been compressed much more efficiently in the setup, so it should probably be doable in the later games as well.

Some types of data can be compressed more efficiently than others. The relative ratios of text/binary code/graphics/sounds could easily differ significantly between the different engines/games.

Some types of data can be compressed more efficiently than others. The relative ratios of text/binary code/graphics/sounds could easily differ significantly between the different engines/games.

I thought that the engines are similar enough, so that while there could be a difference it shouldn't be that huge, but I will take your word on this one as personally I know nothing about compressing apart from that it makes file sizes smaller.

I thought that the engines are similar enough, so that while there could be a difference it shouldn't be that huge, but I will take your word on this one as personally I know nothing about compressing apart from that it makes file sizes smaller.

My guess would be that the new engine games (Avadon, AEFTP) have relatively more and/or higher resolution graphics. Browsing through the Avadon game folders, it appears that most of the graphics used by the game are in PNG or JPG formats (I'm assuming this is true for the other games as well, but I didn't actually look). PNG and JPG are compressed image formats, so that portion of the data won't benefit much from the compression (in fact, compressing already compressed data can actually sometimes make it get slightly larger).