Not sure what you mean...the forum isn't going anywhere.

If you mean forum activity...the game forums aren't typically major conversation scenes. When a new game comes up, people discuss it a lot, ask and answer questions, and strategize. But once a game has been out for years and years, mostly the only new posts are from the occasional new players who have recently discovered the game and have questions. I'd say the activity level of this forum has been totally normal.

They are 288 page threads with a total of 37203 topics.

Which is far more than the first Avernum trilogy or the brand new second Avernum trilogy.

Also imagine a small company like Spiderweb lurking in the dark and bottom feeding off the net and then starting re-gaining popularity by signing a contract with steam and starting hardcore advertisement. I'd consider it normal to say that these forums seem to be a little quiet compared to let's say the Unreal or Diablo forums.

Also there still life being pumped in these threads thanks to fan-fics. smile

I think it is because everyone is waiting for the forums to switch. Or perhaps most of what can be talked about has already been said 10-20 times, and with no new game on the horizon, interest has waned? I hope it is the first, personally. I am still very interested in the series and I need more opportunities to complain about the rebels on the internet. smile

Originally Posted By: Sir Babster the Thirtieth
Is it just me, or did the Geneforge Forum just die? I highly doubt everyone just quit, so what happened?

Actually you'd be surprised. Ive stepped away from Geneforge series because frankly, Its too damn hard. That and I can't actually enjoy the story without getting stomped. Its always been my favorite series or favorite to get into the most, but always the one I can't play without getting the most frustrated.

I find that Avadon has a better story in every aspect, but the tactics are not my style. I prefer melee to ranged and spells, but hey we each have our preferences.

I think the Geneforge series out of all the games made by Jeff, needs to be remade with the highest priority. The first 3 games are broken, go on good old games forums and everyone on there recommends you play a shaper so you can have an easy time. Try an Agent or especially a Guardian, and you might as well write your death warrant. Geneforge 4 and 5, might be different but its not worth trying due to the frustration.

Death Knight, I've just got to disagree. First, have you tried lowering the difficulty in G1 / G2 / G3? That can help. I've only ever played on Normal or below. Second, Guardian and Agent are VERY viable builds in those games! G2 is probably the heyday of the power of the Guardian, and a good build is quite effective. In G3, both Guardian and Agent can be VERY effective; I played melee and missile Guardians, and of the Agent is all about spells. I'm no powergaming mastermind, and I've beat the game with both those classes. It's true, I think that in G1 the Shaper is definitely the most powerful, but the other builds are viable ways to beat the game.

I'm sorry that you had frustrating experiences with these games, and I hope at some point you'll be able to come back to them and find a more successful way to play through. G1 and G2 in particular are the best of series, in my opinion, in terms of story.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Death Knight, I've just got to disagree. First, have you tried lowering the difficulty in G1 / G2 / G3? That can help. I've only ever played on Normal or below. Second, Guardian and Agent are VERY viable builds in those games! G2 is probably the heyday of the power of the Guardian, and a good build is quite effective. In G3, both Guardian and Agent can be VERY effective; I played melee and missile Guardians, and of the Agent is all about spells. I'm no powergaming mastermind, and I've beat the game with both those classes. It's true, I think that in G1 the Shaper is definitely the most powerful, but the other builds are viable ways to beat the game.

I'm sorry that you had frustrating experiences with these games, and I hope at some point you'll be able to come back to them and find a more successful way to play through. G1 and G2 in particular are the best of series, in my opinion, in terms of story.

Triumph, My biggest problem would be the bizarre difficulty jumps from regular enemies. Especially the vlish in some games kill a high endurance character in 1 shot, with or without high parry. With that said, Ive restarted characters at least 18 times from games 1-5. G1 I was guided through by the moderators so you could say I beat it, but I won't count that one.

Ive asked jeff what Im doing wrong, he doesn't have a clue. He told me to return to areas where I can defeat enemies. I feel bad cause I must have bugged him a lot. He doesn't think I put points into the wrong skills, he just thinks I don't use the right setup of creations per class and that I don't have good tactics.

At least I'm ok at the Avernum and Avadon series smile