Any developers still alive down here?

keira

I still check here, albeit extremely rarely. I haven't done anything for about a year, though.

If anyone wants, I could commit the hacked-together, incomplete Mac-Windows merge I was working on to a separate branch on the SVN, or something. The code's still pretty danged ugly, but it does compile and run on Windows--though loading and displaying scenarios isn't quite working properly. (Going outdoors doesn't really work at all, right now, and some of the text strings are messed up, for example.) I still haven't tested it on Mac yet--will doubtlessly need some adjustment to even compile.

I badly want to rewrite CBoE in a cross-platform interpreted language such as Python (and call it CrossBoE, har har). But at this point I just do not have anywhere near the required skillset... And even for a highly skilled programmer, porting legacy procedural code to a modern OO language would probably be nontrivial.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone wants, I could commit the hacked-together, incomplete Mac-Windows merge I was working on to a separate branch on the SVN, or something. The code's still pretty danged ugly, but it does compile and run on Windows--though loading and displaying scenarios isn't quite working properly. (Going outdoors doesn't really work at all, right now, and some of the text strings are messed up, for example.) I still haven't tested it on Mac yet--will doubtlessly need some adjustment to even compile.

Even if it's hacked-together, it's something that someone else can build on. Unless you intend to do more work on it anytime soon, please do go ahead and commit it.

Sadly, I haven't done any work on the wxWidgets stuff for quite awhile.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After playing SW games since I was about 9, eventually getting an account on the forums, afking out because school, doing other stuff for a long time, rejoining with a second account because reasons, making a fool of myself, becoming a programmer anyways, and again afking out because school, momentarily rejoining but then getting a summer job, and finally back again in 2013, I am here to say that I would love to program for you all.

Just two things :

1. How do I SVN and compile and run the source code?

2. Sylae is best pony.

1. How do I SVN and compile and run the source code?

2. Sylae is best pony.

On windows, download and install TortoiseSVN, then go to the directory you want it in, right-click, then choose "SVN Checkout" from the context menu.

Then Make it so. On linux or mac, download and install SVN (could be as easy as an apt-get or yum on "subversion", or you could be using a Mac), then do 'svn co http s://openexile.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ openexile' (remove the space, auto-shortening forum).

I compile with Mingw32, there's makefiles included, and telling your IDE that Mingw32 is GCC will work fine. There's also makefiles included for cross-compiling, use 'make -f Makefile-Nightly-i586'.

also flutterblush.png

If you do happen to be using a Mac, you need to install Xcode, which you can get from the app store. Then you'll probably want to go into Xcode's preferences somewhere to install the command-line tools. Once you do this, it's entirely possible that Subversion is already installed; check by trying the command "which svn" in the terminal. If it prints a path, Subversion is installed. (I'm not sure if Xcode includes subversion, but I think it includes git, so maybe.)

Incidentally, code tags can get around the auto-shortening:

svn co https://openexile.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/openexile

Yet another attempt at a cross-platform BoE, I hope it works out. If it does not, simply improve the respective features of the Windows and Mac versions.

3D Editor for BoA was massively improved for both versions even though no cross-platform version was ever attempted. All you needed there was Niemand to do the improvements for the Mac then me to attempt porting them to the Windows version.

BoE Scenario Editor could do with a few features found in the latest BoA versions:

ability to select and move objects,

ability to work from the lower left lines of the editor rather than open dialog boxes all the time

display of information like terrain type numbers.

Ormus is MIA, a pity, he had some good ideas there too.See:

http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/8893-new-scenario-editor/

• 3 weeks later...

Dev-ccp is out dated as I understand it. Code::Blocks does keep coming out with newer versions.

The Special Node structure is not bad in itself, What it lacked was a symbol table for the Stuff-Done flags I also found the arrays of radio buttons to be cumbersome, which is why I used drop-down list boxes on my editor.

• 2 weeks later...