A6: Lightning Spray vs. Arcane Blow

Brocktree

Question of the Day: When does Lightning Spray do more damage than Arcane Blow?

Answer: When you have cast Cloak of the Arcane.

No kidding. Near the end of the game, my priest was consistently doing more damage with Smite than my mage was doing with Arcane Blow. Curious as to why, I did some testing, and have discovered that Cloak of Arcane does *not* boost the spell power of area-of-effect damage attacks. It only does so for targeted damage attacks (ie. Firebolt, Smite, Lightning Spray, Spray Acid).

Does this mean I should give up on getting my mages Mage Spells up to the required level of Arcane Blow and be happy with Lightning Spray?

Because if so: Beast.

Wait, I have Avernum 4, not 6. Just noticed. Does this work for Avernum 4 as well?

No, because I think Cloak of Arcane is a A6 only spell :| I'd have to check, but I have a level 14 mage, only enough for Arcane summoning, and all the Arcane spells. I know I have Arcane Blow, but not enough skill to cast it. Or the other one. Is Cloak of Arcane in Avernum 4, or is a different spell?

Originally Posted By: Parakeet
Both arcane cloak & magical efficiency don't alter area of effect spells...perhaps there's some programming link between the function of the two.

I think it's more that they both happen to be part of the same series of checks for "modifications to spell effects", which AoE spells bypass for some reason.