A:EftP - Hawthorn Fight...

I am having trouble with the soldiers and mages getting up to the Hawthorn fight in Avernum on normal. It seems that whatever I do, my fighters are fine, but my priest/mage just keeps getting killed. I am running 2 sword/shield fighters with the works, one of which has some priest spells, One is a tank, the other a dps, and a priest/mage with spell craft and resistance.

I don't really have a problem with it as much but it would help if you can save somewhat in between.

Carry some Return Life scrolls on your fighters and use them when you get a moment of relative safety. If things are going really badly, you can burn an invulnerability potion or two. Whatever you do, keep moving and stay healed up: only kill enemies when they're in your way and there's no other way past.

Ok I managed to take my time with the Garzahd fight and he let me go. I slowly but surely make my way to the emperor but he is too tough. I tried the waiting game with him and it doesn't work. What happens is he goes through the cycle of new elements all while he cannot be harmed by spell or sword. What am I supposed to do. Ive attacked his golems but they just slow my fighters down while my priest/mage just has to spam mass heal and divine fire.

Oh and the return life idea might work in a 4 man party on normal but it doesn't work on a 3 man party.

I give in. This is way too hard even with invulnerability potions. The problem is that fighters are too weak when it comes to what you are getting. As soon as the reinforcements come into view, its over because you can't hold the front due to shield breaker knocking them out of view. By then, my mage is done.

I really messed the game up not including an archer.

Edit-Nevermind. Seems that turning the difficulty down to casual can do wonders smile

Sorry for the double post, but here are my thoughts on the game after completing one of the 12 endings.

It seems that the reason I had trouble with the Hawthorn fight was because I rushed getting to him and fought him at lvl 27, which I guessed was too low. Also I didn't get the best armor that I could have gotten for my tank, which made him more vulnerable to elements. To add to that, I should have trained 2 points in both of my fighters for the hardiness skill. So basically, I rushed to get to the end and that was problem.

To be honest, most of the fights were merely challenging at best, up until the last fight with hawthorn. As I didn't have the 5th brooch, my characters died at the end but thats ok.

So let just look at this as a game for a second. This game really has everything you could want in a rpg. Its however long you want it to be as you can choose which ending, its got an awesome character creation system that allows for ultimate freedom, it has from what I read on the net-12 different endings, You can create your whole party, and mostly, most of the fights in game were challenging but doable if you specialize your characters.

I would even say that (without me rushing the end), was my best roleplaying experience and I will definitely play it again with a different party.

Other than playing Avadon 2, I really just am hoping that the 2nd Avernum remake is just as good as this.

• 1 year later...

I didn't need invulnerability potions until the last couple of rounds, when the golems go berserk and suddenly start doing about three times as much damage. After that, I really needed invulnerability potions.

On torment? If so, then you must have powergamed quite heavily. The damage that gets dealt per turn there is crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way I did it on torment (with my Remix though) without invulnerability potions (I had bladeshield), but it should be doable also in normal game. I reached Hawthorne with teleport spells, resurrecting my fighters when they died along the way, then kept doing some damage to one golem so that Hawthorne shield went down as he healed it. You have to resist just a few rounds, spread your party so that at least one priest isn't hit by the area spells, or only once. Reusurrect and energy elixirs were necessary. The last rounds (when golems go melee) were actually easier. I was level 35 (2 fighter/priests, 1 archer/mage/priest and 1 mage/priest).

By the way I did it on torment (with my Remix though) without invulnerability potions (I had bladeshield), but it should be doable also in normal game. I reached Hawthorne with teleport spells, resurrecting my fighters when they died along the way, then kept doing some damage to one golem so that Hawthorne shield went down as he healed it. You have to resist just a few rounds, spread your party so that at least one priest isn't hit by the area spells, or only once. Reusurrect and energy elixirs were necessary. The last rounds (when golems go melee) were actually easier. I was level 35 (2 fighter/priests, 1 archer/mage/priest and 1 mage/priest).

I found having multiple priests who can heal and cast return life to be very helpful in this fight.