Torment, Endurance, and Shapers

Right, so, I'm playing the first Geneforge on torment as a shaper, and every single enemy in the entire game has been able to one-shot me so far, and the few points I put into endurance haven't changed this. How much endurance will I need to be able to survive a single hit from standard mooks? How many levels should I gain between each instance of pumping up endurance? Or should I just be resigned to not being able to take a hit ever, and just play the game as such, as I've been doing so far?

My general strategy has been to gun down every enemy in view before they get a chance to reach my shaper and end him with one of their attacks, or maybe a very stiff wind. It's worked for me so far, kinda, but I'm concerned that if I cant take a single hit, eventually I'll be stopped dead by even one battle where I can't effectively implement this strategy.

Any advice?

Change battle formation may help, which means let your shaper stands in the rear, so he/she will less likely to be attacked.

Otherwise, you can either increase your endurance, making you able to withstand one hit. Or increase your dex/quick action to act before your enemies do, so that be able to move to somewhere safe and cast speed.