Transferring my Geneforge games

Newguy

Okay so I've been moving all my games from my old laptop running windows vista to my new desktop running windows 7. All of my other games such as geneforge 2 3 and multiple avernum games transfer fine, however, when I try to move geneforge 4 and 5 over it tells me I don't have the registered copy anymore.I use an external hard drive to transfer my games. Help, please and thank you.

You can either:

1) reinstall from the disks, if you have them (your saved games should be unaffected),

2) email Spiderweb for new keys, or

3) find the registration files on the Vista computer.

If you opt to find and move the files, the ones you want are Geneforge4Settings.dat and Geneforge5Settings.dat, respectively. If you installed the games to the Program Files folder (not recommended), the files you want are most likely in Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming. Since Win7's file system is almost identical to Vista's, you should be able to move the files from Vista's AppData\Roaming folder to Win7's.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Leave your sanity at the door, provided you still have any left after dealing with Vista.