Need to play the first trilogy for story?

In my humble opinion, no. It's continuing history of the place shown in the games, but you can start anywhere. There's enough general background if you skip ahead to understand what's going on in prior times when you reach the non demo area. At least that was my experience when I skipped ahead when a bug prevented me from installing a game from disk while I and the internet were not in a connectable mode.

Parakeet

You will not be lost. You'll be missing some of the depth of backstory, of course, but what you need to know will be given to you in digest form in various places in the later games.

There will be spoilers, however. It's not clear during A1 what the main arc of the plot will even be. The outcome of A2 will be very much a foregone conclusion. And A3 runs on a mystery that gets answered quite quickly if you play subsequent games.

However, I don't think any of these games will be really spoiled. The point isn't the plot, and even A3 is completely enjoyable if you know what twist is coming.

—Alorael, who would suggest starting with Avernum: Escape from the Pit. It will give you the best background and feel for the series and the setting, and that you really can't get so well from the second trilogy.

I would have to say it is something like the Star Wars sagas. You start at Chapter 4 - 6, then decades later you get Chapters 1 - 3. You don't miss what you don't know you're missing, but that's OK. The difference in the user interface will probably be the bigger challenge to overcome.

• 1 month later...

First game I ever bought and played: Exile III: Ruined world. Really, I never played Exile I: Escape From the Pit, or Exile II: Crystal souls. Except for the second one a little. It's what made me find this. But I never bought Exile II. Anywho, I didn't really need to know the others to enjoy this. Though it was a little wierd meeting the Vhanatai the first time.