G1 - Effect of difficulty level

What does the difficulty level do exactly? It seems that it makes monsters do more damage, but I don't know the mechanics of it, nor any other effects. Does it also affect monster health? To-hit? Evade? XP? Skill point gains upon level-up?

Also, if you change difficulty in the middle of the game, does it take effect immediately, only after you switch zones or will it only affect zones you haven't been to?

I checked the manual and attempted to search the forums, but despite the wealth of information on all sorts of other stuff, I couldn't find anything on the difficulty.

Originally Posted By: MagusofStars
What does the difficulty level do exactly? It seems that it makes monsters do more damage, but I don't know the mechanics of it, nor any other effects. Does it also affect monster health? To-hit? Evade? XP? Skill point gains upon level-up?

The difficulty level basically acts as though monsters have a higher level. They are more likely to hit you, they do more damage when they hit you, they have more health, and they will be able to evade more of your attacks. However, your experience gain or skill points from leveling aren't effected.

Quote:
Also, if you change difficulty in the middle of the game, does it take effect immediately, only after you switch zones or will it only affect zones you haven't been to?

It takes effect immediately, but sometimes it can be a little wonky--health often doesn't change properly, for instance. Once you switch zones, everything should be fine.

Dikiyoba.

As for Geneforge 1, difficulty level only affect monster damage and chance to hit. Monsters does twice damage in torment than normal. As armor in GF1 and GF2 reduces damage by a fix amount, which will result more than twice damage taken. As for chance to hit, just don't try to do anything to reduce your chance of being hit or torment, for it is a waste.

Dikiyoba is talking about Geneforge 5. Up to GF4 (not sure about that one), difficulty level does not affect monster health.