Avernum 6 crashing

Grimper

I'm getting a consistent crash to desktop (a6 has stopped working) in the area surrounding the starting town. The starter dungeon and the town itself work fine, but as soon as I try to explore the surrounding area the game crashes.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling (latest version), running as administrator, and running in compatibility mode. None of that made any difference.

Ironically enough avernum 1-3 work fine, as do 4 and 5.

Is there some kind of error log I can post? Looked around but couldn't find one. Also could a corrupt save file be the cause? I havn't tested with a new one since I don't feel like restarting...though I will if that's a probable cause.

Specs:

Windows 7 32bit

2.67GHz processor

4GB ram

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330m graphics card (updated the driver, no dice)

I've never tinkered with scripts and I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times :<

I regularly restart as well so that hasn't helped.

Also sometimes if I'm really persistent I can get past the auto crashing area, to the goblin cave to the south. But then if I try to go back to the starting town to heal, it crashes as soon as I get to it's outer wall.