Has any body approched Spiderweb to make a film?

Upon Mars.

I do not believe so. Part of the problem is that it would just be really hard to do so - a good film, that is. The games are so huge and have so much exposition and detail that any film would have to cut out way too much. The games would be better adapted to a miniseries or book than a film, but good luck getting that to happen either.

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
"The games are so huge and have so much exposition and detail that any film would have to cut out way too much."

Have you read the hobbit, or even LOTR? smile

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
"The games would be better adapted to a miniseries or book than a film, but good luck getting that to happen either."

For Avernum I and II I think I'd agree, but Nethergate's main plot, could however be used in a full feature film; the main plot is simple and straight foward enough to be refined into a celt or roman-point of view of "historical" events which might be used as a parable to our current situation...

All of the games run more on details of the world, entertaining minor characters, and exploration than on strong characters and plot. Characters and plot are what drive a movie. It makes the transition to the big screen fairly pointless. It could be done, but it would really be something inspired by Avernum, set in Avernum, and otherwise newly written.

—Alorael, who thinks the real issue is that there's no reason for a tie-in. The setting is generic enough to copy without plagiarism, and the fanbase is so small that it's not worth appealing to.

Originally Posted By: -{ThE SpIdErWeB Kaernk}-
I would approach it, however, I don't have that job. :|

Alright people! Get your jobs changed to movie crap in high positions so this can happen!

What?! Dude, I'm just 14 since July 31. I know you'll be too in Aug. 31. The internet is a huge place, I mean seriously, don't you ever search for computer nerd scripts and stuff. In our 2nd year, we are already being taught VB. Anyway, I can create maybe a simple animation, not a blockbuster film. Although, I envy people who have the C5 Flash Professional. It can make animations. I really need that Adobe C5 Flash, maybe anyone with that program can surely make a simple animation. The only problem is, Geneforge/Avernum/Avadon is viewed in a far third-person view, which, most likely, limits backflips and epic stunts, or dramatic poses. Except Avernum, in the Party creation option in starting a new game, the graphics can be taken in a folder...
---------
-A

Originally Posted By: BMA
Will such a film really need an existing fanbase to be successful ?

On the contrary, surely it will only increase the number of fans Jeff already has.

even assuming a big film studio somehow noticed Spiderweb, why would they want to pay jeff money for movie rights to his games when they can just make a knockoff with a different name and not pay him money? you can't copyright plot ideas so they'd only be paying for brand recognition, which SW doesn't really have outside a few thousand people on the internet

Originally Posted By: Lilith

On the contrary, surely it will only increase the number of fans Jeff already has.

even assuming a big film studio somehow noticed Spiderweb, why would they want to pay jeff money for movie rights to his games when they can just make a knockoff with a different name and not pay him money? you can't copyright plot ideas so they'd only be paying for brand recognition, which SW doesn't really have outside a few thousand people on the internet

So true, really true. *Drinks Ginger Beverage* That is what I've too predicted. It would be better when it is an animation-advertisement thinggy made by the obsessed fans of SpiderWeb. But not a film...
---------
-A

Of course not. Most films aren't tie-ins and have to stand on their own merits. As Lilith has implied, the question is why to make a tie-in. The main options are wanting to tap into that existing fanbase, which doesn't apply to Spiderweb, or being so inspired by the source material that you have to use it. In Spiderweb's case, it's more likely to be the setting that inspires, and the setting is generic. No one gets that excited by Erika, Rentar-Ihrno, Nance and Elspeth, Walner, Kelner, and all the other stalwarts of the series.

—Alorael, who supposes many are now stalwarts of half a series. X, Kelner, and Solberg are the real standout survivors.

I don't see why someone would want to have Hollywood near this storyline.

Then it would become Exile: A story about a young male protagonist forced to grow up and rescue the large-breasted girl of his dreams from the evil clutches of the Emperor, in the process bringing the Empire to its knees, all with the help of an elderly sage with a dark past.

Spiderweb games are characteristically non-linear. A movie is linear by definition.

That doesn't make this sort of franchise expansion impossible (it's the relative obscurity that does that, or at least makes it rather unlikely).

It just means that it doesn't work directly. The only way I could see it happening is a series of novels or something set in the game world (more or less loosely based on the games, or possibly exploring backgrounds like the Myst novels) which might then be adapted to a screenplay.

I don't see why someone would want to have Hollywood near this storyline.

Then it would become Exile: A story about a young male protagonist forced to grow up and rescue the large-breasted girl of his dreams from the evil clutches of the Emperor, in the process bringing the Empire to its knees, all with the help of an elderly sage with a dark past.

Also, Hawthorne shoots at Erika first.