Exile 3 troubleshoot help?

trakovite

I bough exile 3 a while back on an old computer and I tried to install it on a new one but the installer won't even start. It keeps giving me this message-

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows your running. Check your computer system information to see whether you need an x86(32-bit) or x64(64bit) version of the program"

Any ideas on what I should do?

I think you're trying to install E3 on hardware too new to run it. From the error message, I suspect that you're trying to get a program that predates 64 bits running on 64-bit WIndows and it doesn't like it.

—Alorael, who thinks the experts will come in and make more helpful recommendations eventually. For his part, he'll just say that it's easier to get Exile running if you can emulate and older system. DOSBox is the go-to tool for it.

Yeah, it sounds like you're trying to install the game on a 64-bit system. Since the original Exile trilogy is 16-bit software, the odds of running it in a 64-bit environment are virtually nil without either an emulator or a lot of computer knowhow.

Your best bet would be either Alorael's suggestion of DosBox, or VirtualBox.

If you go the VirtualBox route, VirtualBox works great with Linux, which is free. You can even download WINE for Linux, and play E3 (as well as E1 and E2) that way as well. Also, Jeff has a version of E3 that runs natively in Linux. I haven't tried any of this with Linux yet (I'm still fairly new to the OS), but it should work.

Mystic,

Do you have any references on how to setup a VirtualBox on Windows so that it can emulate an older Windows so that he can run an old Windows app? I'm not averse to digging for it myself, but if you have any leads, that would be helpful.

One thing I like about the DOSBOX solution is that once you have built it, you can put it onto a thumb drive (2Gb is sufficient) and it is totally portable. I can move it from one to another machine and play it directly off the thumb drive (although it is slower that way). What I do is copy the directory onto the hard drive, make a shortcut to the DOSBOX, click and enjoy!

I'll go one better, and write a walkthrough. Creating a machine (called a "guest computer," or simply a "guest") in VirtualBox is fairly straightforward. First, you need:

• VirtualBox installed on your computer (obviously),
  • a (preferably legal) copy of an OS, and
  • enough RAM and hard drive space to support a guest.
To create a new guest:

Click to reveal..
On the VirtualBox main screen, click "New" to bring up the new virtual machine wizard, then click "Next."

The next screen prompts you to enter a name and OS for the guest. For the OS, Windows XP is the default setting. The VirtualBox website maintains a list of guest OSes with a little info as to how well they work. I prefer Windows XP; it can run not only the Exile trilogy and the original BoE, but also Nethergate, N:R, A1-5, BoA, G1-4 (I haven't been able to get G5 to work, though), and the open-source BoE. When you're done, click "Next."

The next screen prompts you to allocate RAM for the guest; I recommend going a little above the amount suggested by VirtualBox. Note: The more RAM you allocate to the guest, the less you'll have available for other programs. Do NOT select the full amount listed; this can and probably will cause a lot of problems. Also, if you end up allocating too much/little RAM, you can change this amount in the Settings dialog.

The next screen prompts you to select a virtual hard disk for the guest, either by choosing an existing one, or creating a new one. If you choose an existing hard drive, click "Next," followed by "Create," and you're done creating the guest. If you choose to create a new virtual hard disk, clicking "Next" will bring up a wizard to create one; when this is done, you'll be returned to the "Virtual Hard Disk" screen, only the disk you just created will be selected. Click "Next," followed by "Create," and you're done creating the guest.

To create a new virtual hard disk:

Click to reveal..
In the wizard, you'll first be prompted to select a file format; just choose one, and click "Next." I just leave it at the default (VDI).

The next screen asks you to choose whether the new disk should be fixed or dynamic size. If free space is limited on your computer, you'll probably want to make it dynamic; otherwise, make it a fixed size. Click "Next."

The next screen asks you for a name, location, and size for the new virtual disk. The name defaults to the name of the guest you're creating, and the location defaults to the folder created for the guest's information. The size defaults to a minimum amount, based on the OS you chose earlier. Once you've chosen a name, location, and size for the disk, click "Next," followed by "Create," to create it.

Now that you've created a new guest, you need to load the OS onto it:

Click to reveal..
On the VirtualBox main screen, select the guest, followed by "Settings," and "Storage". There should be a hard drive and disk drive listed in the window; select the disk drive. Under "Attributes," the drive should be listed as "CD/DVD Drive" or something similar. Click the disk symbol all the way to the right, and a list will appear. Select "Host Drive'X'"; "X" is the drive letter for one of the physical CD/DVD drives on your computer (called the "host" computer). Click OK.

Insert the OS installation CD (I recommend an OEM copy, to avoid cretain headaches) into the drive you selected, and close anything that starts running from it. Now, start the guest, and install the OS as you would on a normal computer.

Once you have the OS installed, remove the CD, insert the Exile 3 installation CD, and install it.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
One thing I like about the DOSBOX solution is that once you have built it, you can put it onto a thumb drive (2Gb is sufficient) and it is totally portable. I can move it from one to another machine and play it directly off the thumb drive (although it is slower that way). What I do is copy the directory onto the hard drive, make a shortcut to the DOSBOX, click and enjoy!
You might be able to do this with VirtualBox too, though you'd probably need to install VirtualBox onto the drive as well, and need a much bigger flash drive. VirtualBox is pretty much designed to run directly from your computer.

Yeah, VirtualBox makes virtual computers easy to set up, since pretty much all you need to do is follow each screen in the wizard. I've gotten pretty good at setting them up; between two computers, I've created a total of five 32-bit guests (two WinXP's, two Ubuntu 11's, and a Win7). I haven't tried to do a Mac yet, nor have I successfully created a 64-bit guest.

A few words about virtual hard drives: The file size can get quite large; the OS you're emulating alone can take a handful of GB. Also, fixed-size virtual hard drives take a while to set up (anywhere from a few minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the drive you're creating, and the speed of your host system).

Actually, my DOSBox footprint is less than 2Gb. That is with Win31, all three Exiles with hint files, Kings Quest 1-7, Realms of Arkania 1-3, over 120 other DOS games including DOOM 1&2, Heretic 1&2, Hexen 1&2 and about 50 Infocom games with hint files.

And in retrospect, I think DOSBox may be easier to install; just download it,run the install program, and enjoy. No users to define, no creating a virtual hard disk. The only challenging part of DOSBox is setting the parameters in the configuration file, but in the latest version you can rely on the the default values better. In fact, most of the Vogons write up is how to install the Windows 3.1 inside the VM.

Actually, my DOSBox footprint is less than 2Gb. That is with Win31, all three Exiles with hint files, Kings Quest 1-7, Realms of Arkania 1-3, over 120 other DOS games including DOOM 1&2, Heretic 1&2, Hexen 1&2 and about 50 Infocom games with hint files.
You forget: Win3.1, and the programs written for it, are tiny compared with most modern software. My virtual WinXP, which I have set up pretty much as a regular PC, uses about 7.5GB of hard drive space. My virtual Win7, with just the OS installed (32-bit Home Premium), consumes just over 9GB of my hard drive. The Win3.1 installer, by comparison, fits on six 3.5" floppies with a little room to spare.

And in retrospect, I think DOSBox may be easier to install; just download it,run the install program, and enjoy. No users to define, no creating a virtual hard disk. The only challenging part of DOSBox is setting the parameters in the configuration file, but in the latest version you can rely on the the default values better. In fact, most of the Vogons write up is how to install the Windows 3.1 inside the VM.
Whatever works, works, I guess. I, on the other hand, could never get anything to work in DosBox. Then again, I don't have a copy of Win3.1; and I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate using command-line interfaces.

Actually, Mystic, I understand your position. I began my career in ADP with 80 column punched cards. Then came CRT terminals. Wordstar, Wordperfect, and Lotus 123 were my first PC apps.

When I was forced kicking and screaming into Word and Excel, I always searched for a way to keep my hands on the keyboard. Less time was spent doing that than always moving right hand from keyboard to mouse, taking eyes off the document I was typing, wiggling mouse so I can find the bloody cursor, moving mouse to desired location, double-#@#$-DRAG!, fix the drag, reposition mouse, double-click, relocate hand on keyboard, feeling for the J key, looking back to my document, finding my place in said document, resume work.

F-keys were my friends. Then they moved the bloody things from my left hand to the top of the keyboard! Rats, cats and dirty little bats!

Edit:

On the other hand, having the ability to load XP into a virtual machine far out weighs the simplicity of DOSBox, which struggles with anything beyond Win3.1. Even Win98 is problematic. Ergo, I admit that yours is the superior.

I began my career in ADP with 80 column punched cards.
I can relate. Before retiring circa 2002-3, my father was a COBOL programmer for about 30 years, and I grew up hearing some of the horror stories involving punched cards. IIRC, we still have a handful of those cards hidden somewhere in our basement.

On the other hand, having the ability to load XP into a virtual machine far out weighs the simplicity of DOSBox, which struggles with anything beyond Win3.1. Even Win98 is problematic. Ergo, I admit that yours is the superior.
Well, it's a trade-off, and kind of a double-edged sword. You can have a lot of features and flexibility, but be tied to a desktop and (depending on the OS) eat a lot of available RAM; or you can have high portability and simplicity, but have less versatility and fewer OS choices.

VirtualBox does have some drawbacks. For example, the Mouse Integration feature tends to move very fast and erratically in Scale Mode. Sometimes, installing a USB drive in a virtual computer can cause the drive to be unreadable until you reboot the host computer. And you never, ever want to shut down a guest computer by clicking the "Close" button on its window; it shuts down all right, but the host key usually ends up being read by the host system as being constantly pressed. Other than these bugs, it tends to work great.

I've also tried several OSes, and have amassed a small collection. I can't seem to get it to work with Ubuntu 9, 10, or 12 (12.04 won't even install for me); 11.10 isn't too bad, now that I finally bought a Linux book (in retrospect, this might have helped with Ubuntu 9 & 10). WinNT works good, but looks ugly beyond words. Win98 is slow and slightly unstable. And I haven't tried yet, but I don't think it works at all with Win95 or earlier.

I remember helping a woman that's FORTRAN program wasn't working. She didn't have a print out, but the card deck was exactly what I needed to spot the problem. All the code lines started in column 6 instead of 7. So the computer read it as a huge continuous statement instead of separate lines of code.