New Player: Items on the Ground

I am really digging this game, however: I am having a hard time telling the difference between stuff on the ground that are items to pick up and just random decoration, etc. Is there an option or something to change the mouse cursor over items or something I am missing? My old eyes are straining and I feel like a dunderhead hitting 'g' all the time and seeing nothing to pick up. smile

Am I truly a dunderhead, or do I just need to get over it because that's just part of the game? smile

Thanks!

Use the g or i command and you will go into inventory mode and see the nearby items you can pick up. Use the u command to see hidden switches and containers you can open. That's about it until you learn to recognize all the items and even then it's hard to see some.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. This all made sense to Jeff Vogel when he made the game. smile

I agree with mithrandir138. I too think this game is great, but it is very difficult to recognise items which are lying on the ground or things outside, particularly the groups that are wandering around. Are they merchants, soldiers, sliths, monsters or what? In the first trilogy you had the "look" button and in A2 and A3 the right mouse button did the same (at least on Windows).

In AEP there is no look button and none of the normal navigational aids in Windows, like the right mouse button or double-click work.

I hope this will be improved in new games. And also that doors should be closable.

Originally Posted By: Catweasle

And also that doors should be closable.

That probably is not going to happen. Doors used to be closeable before Jeff added the iPad as a supported system. Trying to close doors with pudgy fingers apparently became a source of serious frustration. Now doors may be opened but not closed.....

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
finding valuable things after battle isn't easy due small size so its best to use g and get everything valuable that way.

Randomizer has already said exactly this.

Originally Posted By: Painted Lady
That probably is not going to happen. Doors used to be closeable before Jeff added the iPad as a supported system. Trying to close doors with pudgy fingers apparently became a source of serious frustration. Now doors may be opened but not closed.....

Maybe, but it is very very frustrating not being able to close doors on other platforms! If one could at least push crates and barrels around, but that is probably also too difficult on iPad.

Originally Posted By: Painted Lady
Originally Posted By: Catweasle

And also that doors should be closable.

I don't think it's so much about trying to close the doors as it is about accidentally closing them when trying to do something else.

• 4 months later...

how many "squares" away do you have to be from the items to be able to pick them up?

It seems to me that no more than 1 or 2 squares when not in combat. and who searches in combat anyway? Avadon is much better this way, searches large area with the 'g' button. There is a lot of good stuff on the ground and one of my main gripes is looking--move a little hit the 'g' then hit the cancel button, move a lttle hit the 'g' then the cancel again, over and over!!! Even on the highest resolution I can see only a few of the things on the ground and sometimes when nothing shows on the screen you find a goodie. You need money and you can get it by selling the things you find on the ground but eventually the 'g' is going to fall off my keyboard.