A little confused

Avernum is a remake of Exile with a significantly different engine. N:R is a remake of Nethergate with something that's more like the latest version of the engine that was in its first incarnation at the time of the original Nethergate. There are a few gameplay tweaks you'll notice, particularly the addition of a level system. There are a couple of new dungeons. Other than that, N:R is supposed to be as close to the original as possible.

—Alorael, who thinks it does a good job with that. Since Nethergate is one of Spiderweb's gems, there's really no reason for Jeff to go mucking around with it when for less work he can make it accessible to newer hardware and operating systems.

The game description could be a little clearer.

Yes, the name is 'resurrection' and not 'the new adventure', but it's still a little vague.

If it said something like 'play the classic game updated for new OS's with new bonus dungeons...'

I'd thought it was a 'new content' game after the first reading, until I saw an interview on it.

To speed up creating the game, Jeff used as much content from the original game. He added new features with the update like 2 more much harder dungeons, new quests, trainers for skills, new items, and new graphics. Resurrection refers to the revival of what was an essentially dead game that had few new players buying it.

Sales have justified doing it.

Why would I spend money on something which pretty much is identical to the original?

I know that there may be some small differences, but not enough to justify me forking out my hard earned cash. Exile 1 to Avernum 1 was a huge jump in 'quality', Nethergate to Nethergate: Resurrection was not.

To be honest, I'm starting to get tired of Jeff's lack of innovation.

*le gasp* Yes, I dare to say that he lacks in innovation. He...

-'Remakes' the Exile series to produce the Avernum series.

- Sucks the Geneforge world dry (attempting to make them interesting with 'Drakons', ug. Worst plot device ever.)

- Adds another game to the already overdone Avernum series. Trust me, the open ending at the of Exile III was enough.

- Is placing Solberg in the FIFTH Avernum game (why won't that old codger die already??! frown ).

- And now has made some small changes to the original Nethergate. Wow.

It reminds me of what Homer says at the start of the Simpsons movie. "Hah, you guys are suckers! You're paying for something that you could watch for free on TV!".

That's how I feel about the veterans who pay for Nethergate: Resurrection, who have the original game. They got sucked in. Go play the original, you imbeciles.

I wasn't going to even touch the Shareware version of Avernum 5, but now I've made up my mind not to purchase any of his games, until he actually comes up with something *new*.

Suspicious Vlish seems to be aptly named.?A lot of creators can't leave well enough alone and love to tinker with/improve old product. Evidently it is one of the banes of being an artist of sorts. I, for one, am pleased that Nethergate was updated. I never finished the original game, because I wearied of the clunky engine. It was a fine game and much more enjoyable in the new format.

It's also okay if you didn't like it, but it doesn't mean Jeff is lazy or uninspired. By all appearances, the man is very diligent and hard working. I say this as a beta-tester of the last four games. I see how hard he tries to make a good game and accommodate the gamers.

I can understand wanting something wholly fresh. Within two years, I think we'll have something new, when Geneforge and Avernum wrap their stories. I'm proud to have a cool, clunky local little company like Spiderweb faithfully cranking out decent product and staying afloat in the pool with the big fish.

-S-

Yama:

Quote:

Constructive criticism is one thing, and stubborn negativity is another. Personal attacks, however, are against the code of conduct. Consider yourself warned.

I never 'personally attacked' anyone. I simply stated (tongue in cheek) that buying a game which is near identical to the original makes you an imbecile. So do me a big favour, and quit your posturing.

I for one thought the game was fantastic, having never played it back in the day and the old version being ill-compatible with my intel Mac. I'm one of those that enjoys the Blades engine so I found it to play well for me. The story and quests are hands down some of the best in all of the Spiderweb games. The ability to play both sides of the story, the emotion and the contrasts make for an experience you'll find in few other games. The price for N:R is reasonable and the upgrade price for original owners is ludicrously cheap, literally less than I paid for dinner last night. If liking N:R makes me a sucker then label me a Grade A.

Hokay.

Nethergate: Resurrection has a number of improvements and a decent amount of new content. It tooks months of work to develop. I think $12 is a very reasonable price for the upgrade. Considering how many upgrade orders we've gotten, the kind people who pay my salary agree with me.

"That's how I feel about the veterans who pay for Nethergate: Resurrection, who have the original game. They got sucked in. Go play the original, you imbeciles."

I don't care how in your cheek your tongue is. Nobody comes to these boards and insults paying customers. You hate my games so much? Go somewhere else for a while.

- Jeff Vogel