Do I blame Steam, Asus, Bill Gates or Jeff?

Thycavivor

Steam is having its summer sale (you may have heard). After checking that my Asus EeePC netbook had the right specs (specifically, memory, 1024x768 res, 32-bit color) to run it, bought the Avernum 4-6 pack. The OS is Windows 7 Starter (I have another name for it).

Everything installs fine but upon launch of any of the three games, I'm told that I have to have the screen res set to "exactly" 1024x768 at 16 bit color. Fine, I go change to 16 bit. Same message.

I poke around a little more and realize that even though the screen display says it is set at 1024x768, and even though Asus put a sticker on my keyboard that says, and I quote, "1024x768 screen display", I in fact have a max screen res of 1024x600. I feel like I've gone down a cup size or something.

Suggestions? And yes, I realize people on this forum have issues with Steam, Windows 7, and netbooks. I have the same issues, too but the netbook is all I have for gaming outside of an iPad. The purchase of an HP Pavillion is not a viable answer for me.

Is your screen widescreen 16:10 or 4:3 (like an old TV)? If it is the former, Asus almost certainly made a misprint on the sticker. 1024x600 is a widescreen resolution common on netbooks. 1024x768 is a 4:3 resolution. Your problem is that your screen is too small for the game. Nothing you can do will make it run at 1024x600. The blame for this lies squarely with Asus.

Asus is to blame, then. The screen is 10.5 ". It's a little deceptive how it's marketed b/c it says "1024x768 DISPLAY." (emphasis mine) And when I go into my display settings, it tells me that my "display" is 1024x768 but my "resolution" is 1024x600.

Here's to hoping my iPad 1 holds out until the release of Avadon 2.