Odd Behavior

I'm playing G2 again, and because the encumbrance system is so annoying, I tried changing all the weight values in the scripts to 0. The game crashed. I replaced the script with a backup I made. It worked. Then I changed just one tiny little value (I'd done this exact thing before, and it worked) and the game crashed. Furthermore, when I changed it back to the way it was, the game still crashed. For some reason, it I change anything at all, the game suicides. Last time I played G2, I edited many things and still had a working game. Any thoughts? (I'm using Windows 7 in case it matters).

CrystalBolt: If you mention EXACTLY what you changed, and in what file, that would help.

James: This is a message board, not a chat room. Messages are not posted to you personally, and nobody expects you personally to respond to every message. In fact, please don't. It just adds clutter. Please only respond when you have something interesting or valuable to add, that other people will want to read.

First I changed the weight of a wooden shield from '80' to '0'. When that didn't work, I replaced it with the original script and changed the chitin armor weight to 0. Again, no success.

The file is called gforscen.

Edit: I also gave my Guardian 1 extra AP to help him reach pesky artilae that kept running away. Game still died.

I tried adding a random space in between two lines. This shouldn't change anything at all. But it STILL crashed. It seems to resent my changing anything at all. Or maybe it doesn't like reading recently modified files for some reason. I'm stumped.

Edit 2: Hmmm. I reinstalled with no luck. I also tested the other Geneforge games. They let me change whatever I wanted. I don't get what's so special about G2. Arggggg...

Are you using the same version of the game as you used before? I have no idea if the Steam or GOG versions (for example) are stricter about file checksums (i.e., not modifying data files) than the original was; I know the Mac App Store version of newer games is like that, while the regular Mac version is not.

If the random space caused a crash, I'm going to guess that's the case.

I can't imagine there is anything special about G2. I assume you didn't make ANY modifications to the file besides the ones you mentioned, right? An accidental keystroke in the wrong place could cause problems.

Encumbrance: well, you can give yourself more Strength, or sell stuff you don't need, like extra consumables. You can also pay attention to your equipment and realize that sometimes, the really heavy stuff (like heavy armor or shields) doesn't give you enough of a bonus to justify the weight.