Poll: Pie

Actaeon

I didn't use all three of my options. Pumpkin and Apple are far and beyond any other pie (even including key lime and coconut cream, the distant runners up). I've never come across a strawberry pie without rhubarb in it, Tyran. It must be a regional thing. Also, I'm not considering pie vs cobler vs crisp here. Assume the crust is that which makes you happiest.

Apple pie is good, but I prefer pumpkin, and a few other things to pumpkin. One really good one that's not on the list is raisin pie. The only pie that springs to mind as not being good, though, is gooseberry pie, at least if it's made with those huge, seed-filled, faintly sour English gooseberries, and produced as a school lunch dessert. No doubt that's not going to show any pie at its best, but still.

Anyone remember when McDonald's 'Hot Apple Pies' were still deep fried? The baked version that replaced them in North America sometime in the 1980s is nowhere near as good. But the original decadent version is still the norm in Europe. Ha.

On the other hand, SoT, the gooseberries from my grandmothers garden were probably the best thing I tasted growing up. They were never baked into a pie, sure, but awesome nonetheless. We did use the rhubarb in her garden for pies (and for swords in impromptu fights), and those pies were delicious.

In honor of America's Independence Day tomorrow, I vote for my logical and patriotic favorite pie - apple, the most delicious. Of course, I add the caveat that Dutch apple pie is the most delicious type of pie I've ever had, but still. God bless 'Murrica.

Strawberry rhubarb pie is a distant second. I can't say that any other pie has ever privileged itself enough in my eyes to compare to these two, and that I can't understand the support for pumpkin pie. Blegh.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
Blackberry was pretty common the last time I was in the Pacific Northwest. It's also sold at the grocery store here in backwoods Colorado, so who knows what that says about its distribution.

While Dikiyoba can't say anything about backwoods Colorado, it means that the Pacific Northwest grows a whole bunch of blackberries (to the point where fresh berries sold directly to consumers are typically sold by the cultivar name instead of being sold as blackberries.) Another PNW specialty is the blackberry milkshake.

Pumpkin pie is best made with fresh pumpkin, though arguably not enough better than a canned filling to be worth the large amount of extra work. You've got to roast half a good-sized pumpkin, scrape out the hot pulp, then squeeze the water out of it by wrapping it i cheesecloth, a handful at a time, and wringing it out like crazy.

If you can net the $#%!! robins out, blueberry or cherry pie is great, but unlikely. The problem is those feathered idiots, the half grown babies with the spots on their breasts, always manage to wiggle in, fill their crops & forget how they got in. So they sit in there complaining noisily & self righteously about their imprisonment until they are let loose or get hungry again. They tend to clean the bushes & trees.

Consequently, a good butterscotch cream pie is the top notch pie obtainable here.

Originally Posted By: Peachie Pie

(I'm not sure if this counts as reviving a dead thread, but I just couldn't resist.)

There are a number of people who post infrequently, so posting in a topic only five days after the last post is by no means topic necromancy. smile

In all honesty, I think my favorite pie is an almost Dr. Suessian combination of Pecan and French Silk.

The concept doesn't sound real, the name is more a parody than anything, and just looking directly at this pie for an extended period will make your very eyes gain weight, but... for me, this is it. This is the one pie to rule them all.

I had to look that up to make sure it wasn't a pun on Marion Barry, former mayor and current councilman of Washington, DC. What I learned is that it's a variety of blackberry but also of raspberry. I'm afraid you're going to have to split the vote.

—Alorael, who spent all day with someone else's blueberry pie sitting next to him today. It was a very tough day to get through without eating pilfered poe.

Originally Posted By: Bastion of Adamantine Volition
I had to look that up to make sure it wasn't a pun on Marion Barry, former mayor and current councilman of Washington, DC. What I learned is that it's a variety of blackberry but also of raspberry. I'm afraid you're going to have to split the vote.

—Alorael, who spent all day with someone else's blueberry pie sitting next to him today. It was a very tough day to get through without eating pilfered poe.

Purloined Poe seems more appropriate.